Effective immediately. Subject to the return of the incumbent.
Competition #: 96-COV-19
Closing Date: September 17, 2019
Days/Hours: Days vary. Hours - 12 hour shifts 6:30 am to 6:30 pm,
and 6:30 pm to 6:30 am, working 2 day shifts,
2 night shifts, 4 days off.
Reporting to the Manager, Detention Facility, or their delegate, this position monitors the care of all custodial inmates.
- Ensures the safety, security and well-being of each prisoner in custody.
- Physically checks prisoners on an irregular basis every 0 to 15 minutes and record findings in the designated logbook.
- Records all dealings with prisoners in the designated logbook (e.g., prisoner visits, phone calls, medication, interviews, fingerprinting).
- Orders and serves prisoner meals.
- Administers prisoner medication as directed by doctor.
- Fingerprints and photographs prisoners when required and only if relieved of guard duty by a regular member.
- Ensures status board is accurate and up to date, including documents for each prisoner.
- Advises Kamloops and local Sheriff Department of escort requirements on daily basis.
- Completes appropriate cleaning daily.
- Prepares prisoners for court.
- Assists members with booking process when and if required always keeping in mind that the existing prisoner care is the primary responsibility.
- Keeps the Watch Commander advised of all irregularities in the cellblock.
- Sound knowledge of departmental regulations, policies and procedures with respect to the guarding of prisoners and cellblock security.
- Communicates tactfully and effectively.
- Works with minimum supervision and direction.
- Performs basic computer skills.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Completion of CABS (Computer Arrest Booking System) Course
- Previous guard experience
- First Aid Level One
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
- Security Clearance by R.C.M.P.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous Police Experience.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!