Competition #: 127-COV-20
Closing Date: January 10, 2021
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you. The City of Vernon offers a competitive compensation package, including enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Reporting to the Manager, Economic Development and Tourism, the Manager, Tourism is responsible for the implementation of the Tourism Plan, developing and implementing the Annual Tourism Marketing Plan, monitoring trends, performing market research, and administering the Tourism budget.
- Develop, implement, and monitor Tourism Strategic Plan that are aligned with the goals and objectives of the City.
- Solicit funding from tourism organizations, partners, and stakeholders.
- Develop and administer advertising campaigns, develop and monitor tourism brand control, and manage and negotiate advertising rates and schedules.
- Responsible for managing the tourism budget.
- Research, collect, and monitor statistical data to ensure understanding of market trends and local and provincial tourism markets.
- Research and develop proposals for tourism development funding.
- Develop new business leads for Vernon tourism industry.
- Develop and produce tourism marketing collateral.
- Responsible for Tourism Vernon website.
- Manage implementation and administration of approved tourism projects.
- Liaise, as required, with local, regional, and provincial colleagues to share information, access resources, and streamline the delivery of Tourism services.
- Recommend promotional strategies to City of Vernon Tourism Commission, new and existing tourism businesses, owners, investors, industry, and community services and organizations.
- Consult with local tourism businesses on developing strategic, market ready product and services to market their products effectively.
- Facilitate industry network sessions to provide opportunity for feedback from tourism stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in tourism, business or public administration, commerce, marketing, economics or a Diploma in a related area combined with relevant experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience in tourism and/or marketing.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional program/project development skills.
- Innovative with highly developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills, along with a strong community/client focus.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with many demands.
- Able to collaborate with multiple stakeholders.
- The incumbent will be required to work outside of normal working hours.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in economic development would be an asset.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!