MANAGER, PARKS & PUBLIC SPACES MAINTENANCE
Effective immediately to June 1, 2025, approximately.
Subject to return of the incumbent.
Competition #: 204-COV-23
Closing Date: December 17, 2023
Annual Salary: $96,170.00 - $113,141.18
Reporting to the General Manager, Public Works this position is responsible for all maintenance and operational activities relating to parks and public spaces, including City parks, City maintained public spaces and parking lots, boulevards, landscaped areas in the downtown core, and Cemeteries.
- Responsible for the management, operation and delivery of services for all City of Vernon parks, boulevards, paved and unpaved linear trails, City maintained landscaped areas including the downtown core and parking lots.
- Responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the City Cemeteries including staffing, maintenance contracts, development and implementation of the Cemetery Master Plan, Cemetery bylaws, interments, and public complaints.
- Responsible for the completion of capital projects using a variety of methods including in-house resources and contract forces.
- Responsible for contract management and procurement of contracts.
- Reviews, develops, and recommends new and revised sectional procedures to respond to changing needs and/or to achieve improvements, efficiencies, cost savings and revenue generation.
- Liaises with other City staff to develop and implement Master Plans.
- Promotes a safe work environment consistent with City Policy and Occupational Health and Safety regulation, policies, guidelines and standards.
- Maintains an effective departmental safety program, which adheres to all WCB regulations, including safety rules and procedures, safety orientation and training, identification/ correction of workplace hazards, accident/incident investigation, and regular meetings.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive work plan to ensure that risk management inspections are completed and problems addressed as they relate to Parks and Public Spaces.
- Maintains liaison with other Provincial and Municipal government departments, utilities and other major service providers to ensure coordination, cooperation and efficiency in development and implementation of service initiatives.
- Maintains liaison with Provincial and Federal government departments and ensures regulatory compliance in relation to work near creeks and water bodies and wildlife management.
- Attends City Council meetings, public hearings, utilities and other regional governance public meetings as a resource and/or representative of the City as required.
- Advises Senior Management and City Council on technical requirements of services within the mandate of the Parks department.
- Prepares and administers the provisional, annual and capital budgets for the Parks and Public Spaces departments and makes recommendations to the General Manager, Public Works.
- Coordinates development and maintenance of benchmarking measures and systems to ensure effective measurement of performance and service delivery by the department.
- Ensures effective response process to citizen and business inquiries and complaints.
- Undertakes periodic reviews of the corporate structure of the department and identifies adjustments required to meet the change in service requirements in consultation with the General Manager, Public Works.
- Responsible for recruiting, appointing, promoting, directing, monitoring performance, and exercising corrective action, in consultation with the General Manager, Public Works.
- Works within the CUPE Collective Agreement as it relates to the Parks and Public Spaces and advises the General Manager, Public Works when problems occur.
- Manages the performance management process, working with each employee to maximize their personal success and the value of their contribution to the success of their fellow employees and the organization.
- Recommends annual training and staff development program and ensures that staff participates in training and development opportunities to meet City objectives and career goals.
- Develops and maintains succession plans for the department to ensure staff development, placement opportunities, and continuity in consultation with the General Manager, Public Works.
- Assists the Fleet Manager in the procurement of new and replacement City equipment.
- Works Closely with other City Departments completing reviews and providing recommendations for a wide variety of parks projects, including the Parks Master Plan, designs of new parks, and redevelopment of existing parks.
- Liaises with other City Departments to ensure that the operation, maintenance and construction of works relating to the Parks and Public Spaces function are carried out within the mandate of City Council.
- Works closely with user groups to manage expectations and still meet event and program requirements.
- May assume the role of General Manager during vacations and other absences.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services as required. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Horticulture supplemented with courses in business administration, project management, and a variety of computer applications.
- Minimum 5 years related experience including 2 years of progressively responsible management/supervisory experience.
- Prior experience working within municipal government is preferred.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of computers including standard office and related software.
- Proficiency in the use of general office equipment Including strong PC/technology skills and aptitude
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction and maintenance practises relating to parks operation and maintenance, cemetery maintenance, and all materials, tools and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of the above.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Ability to make accurate notes, sketches and observation reports.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in problem solving.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
- Contract and lease negotiation and management experience.
- Knowledge of all relevant federal and provincial legislation including Workers Compensation Board British Columbia Regulations.
- Demonstrated contract management skills.
- Demonstrated project management abilities.
- Demonstrated ability with capital and operating budget preparation (short and long term).
- Commitment and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!