MANAGER, INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT
(Exempt - Temporary)
Immediately – October 31, 2020, approximately, or subject to the return of the incumbent, whichever is sooner
Competition #: 135-COV-18
Closing Date: December 23, 2018
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services Division, this position is responsible for the formulation and delivery of the City of Vernon Infrastructure program and accountable for ensuring that the infrastructure works performed by and on behalf of the City of Vernon adheres to sound engineering principles and standards.
- Provides strategic direction for the planning, design and construction management of the City’s infrastructure systems in alignment with corporate goals.
- Directs the ongoing assessment of the City's infrastructure needs and the development of short, medium, and long range plans for upgrade replacement and expansion for storm sewer, sanitary sewer collection, and transportation systems.
- Directs the planning, design and construction supervision of municipal infrastructure projects such as roads, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, sidewalks, curbs and gutters, and ensures the projects are effectively co-ordinated with the Operation Services Division.
- Oversees the issuance, scoring and awarding of Requests for Proposal including development, contract administration, tenders, resident services, cost estimates and tender-law issues.
- Participates on the Division Management Team.
- Ensures positive customer relations are maintained with other government bodies, agencies and the development community.
- Ensures the department adheres to Public Participation principles regarding infrastructure projects.
- Directs the capture, mapping, analysis, and reporting of GIS data using the City’s computerized drafting, information systems and software.
- Directs grant applications related to the Department in collaboration with the corporate grants function.
- Prepares reports and recommendations to Council and attends Council meetings, as required.
- Attends committee meetings as well as public hearings and other public meetings, as a resource and/or representative of the City.
- Responsible for the formulation and the development of infrastructure budgets and work plans.
- Responsible for the preparation of the operating budget and work plans for the Infrastructure Management Department.
- Develops City bylaws, policies and procedures relating to infrastructure.
- Reviews and certifies engineering drawings using current engineering principles.
- Performs engineer duties which encompass the powers, duties and functions as defined within municipal bylaws.
- Maximizes individual and group performance by carrying out effective hiring, training, coaching, performance appraisal and performance management programs.
- Delegates assignments to department staff and prioritizes projects on a department basis.
- Undertakes risk management and ensures liability exposures are addressed.
- Periodically serves as the Acting Director for the Division.
- Performs other related duties as necessary for the competent, efficient, reasonable and orderly development of the City’s engineering and service requirements.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering supplemented by a minimum 8 years related experience, including 2 years supervisory experience in a municipal setting.
- P. Eng. designation.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid BC drivers’ license.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of current engineering techniques and municipal legislation.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of water distribution, sanitary sewer collection and disposal, storm drainage systems, transportation, and related surface works.
- Extensive knowledge and background in contract management.
- Well-developed knowledge of infrastructure and operating budget preparation (long and short term).
- Demonstrated successful project management experience in either a municipal or consulting environment.
- Proven critical thinking abilities.
- Strong PC/technology skills and aptitude, and familiarity with current software such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Civil3D and Project in addition to proficiency with general office equipment.
- Familiar with CityWorks GIS software.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal abilities in effectively addressing the public, team members, and cross-divisional relationships.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience with municipalities similar in size to Vernon.
- Working knowledge of computer modelling software.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!