MANAGER, FLEET SERVICES
Competition #: 77-COV-22
Closing Date: June 6, 2022
Reporting to the Director, Operation Services, this position is responsible for all aspects of fleet services and manages a multi-trades workforce engaged in maintenance and repair of municipal fleet vehicles and repair services.
- Plans, organizes, directs, schedules and supervises fleet staff in the repair of all City fleet, Fire Rescue, Recreation Services vehicles and emergency standby equipment.
- Identifies staff training needs and coordinates related training.
- Monitors and inspects work to ensure compliance to contract specifications and industry standards.
- Recommends the most cost effective use of divisional resources as well as providing technical support for work as required.
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations, equipment testing and inspection as required by WorkSafe BC.
- In consultation with the Director, Operation Services recommends the hiring, discipline, lay-off and termination of employees; acts for the Corporation in the first or second step of employee grievances and related arbitration hearings in consultation with Human Resources.
- Prepares and recommends to the Director, Operation Services provisional, annual and capital budget estimates for fleet services, and upon approval, ensures expenditures are within approved limits.
- Prepares reports, recommendations and correspondence.
- Identifies any unusual occurrence or circumstance that may give rise to the need for special treatment or documentation to the Director, Operation Services.
- Consults with vehicle and equipment sales representatives and coordinates equipment demonstrations for vehicle procurement purposes.
- Prepares specifications for tender, quotation and RFP documents for the design and procurement of fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Develops and implements life-cycle programs to maximize resources available from operating and capital budgets; disposes of Fleet assets accordingly.
- Ensures equipment is maintained to prescribed standards to ensure the safety of users and staff.
- Responsible for the procurement of a fuel supply for the City vehicle fleet and for the administration of the fuel supply program, controls the issue, documentation and correct use of Cardlock cards.
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the GPS (AVL) system, including driver identification and vehicle tracking
- Responsible for implementation and maintenance of Green House Gas (GHG) reduction technologies and tracking measures.
- Responsible for the procurement of Fleet Vehicle licensing, registration and required permits.
- Processes vehicle accident and damage reports and liaises with the insurance provider for claim processing.
- Responsible for maintaining maintenance records, purchase of annual operating permits, and the City VHF radio communications system.
- Responsible for the operation of the Fleet Operations which includes establishing vehicle rental rates, life-cycle planning, overseeing the repair and maintenance of all fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Ensures compliance to the NSC, compliance with Commercial Vehicle Inspection regulations.
- Responsible for establishing monthly equipment charge/depreciation journal vouchers.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records of equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Responsible for establishing a Fleet preventative maintenance system and the implementation and maintenance of a computerized preventative maintenance program for the shop.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director, Operation Services.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of a 1 year post secondary program in Business Administration or equivalent.
- Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic or Automotive Mechanic Certificate – Interprovincial Standards Certificate.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Journeyman Mechanic in the repair and maintenance of construction equipment, heavy duty, commercial transport and machinery, and a minimum of 4 years in a progressively responsible managerial role that includes administration, performance management, supervision, procurement of goods and services, tendering, vehicle specification writing, fleet maintenance and contract administration.
- Valid BC Driver’s License Class 3A.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer and related software and general office equipment.
- Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel management and supervision, budget preparation and administration, Municipal Fleet Management, vehicle maintenance and repair and procurement.
- Sound knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the mechanical trade.
- Sound knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in problem solving.
- Ability to interpret contracts, rules and City policies.
- Ability to prepare and write Tender, RFP and Quotation documents.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Proficient use of a computer (MS Office Suite, fleet information systems).
- Extensive knowledge of the methods and procedures used in the repair and maintenance of all types and sizes of vehicles and construction equipment, engines, and components.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Purchasing and Contract Management related training.
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!