MANAGER, DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING
Competition #: 99-COV-20
Closing Date: October 14, 2020
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services, this position is accountable for ensuring that the work performed on behalf of the City of Vernon adheres to sound engineering principles and standards. This position is part of the Division management team and periodically serves as the Acting Director in the absence of the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services.
- Manages the development and review process with regard to engineering requirements.
- Represents Engineering with regard to Development Agreement and Servicing Agreement negotiations.
- Interprets subdivision and development bylaws and undertakes amendments as required.
- Oversees and/or completes permit issuances for Right of Way Usage and Site Preparation.
- Reviews estimated costs and determines cost sharing between parties such as the City and a developer, various agencies, and other levels of government.
- Leads the development engineering design review, and provides assistance with procedures and bylaw/policy interpretation.
- Reviews and signs legal documents related to development including rights of way, sales agreements and development agreements, and determines when additional legal advice is warranted.
- Authors and presents reports to Council.
- Tracks activities related to Council reports and assigns responsibilities for reports, including reviewing reports/memos.
- Conducts duties of Division Director during their absence as required.
- Represents Division as alternate to Director in Council and at other meetings as required.
- Scores requests for proposals including development, contract administration, tenders, resident services, cost estimates and tender-law issues.
- Reviews preplans, and designs for municipal infrastructure projects such as roads, water, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, sidewalks and curb gutters.
- Develops Engineering servicing plans for neighbourhood plans, including coordination with other division directors, managers and external agencies.
- Assists with amendments to bylaws related to development including the Zoning, Official Community Plan and Building bylaws to ensure consistency through the City regarding development requirements and procedure.
- Interprets Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) water servicing standards and rates bylaws for application by City staff.
- Represents the City in providing feedback to RDNO regarding water issues.
- Develops City bylaws, policies and procedures relating to infrastructure and long term objectives.
- Responsible for the review of the detailed construction drawings for adherence to engineering standards and conducts on-site inspections of major construction projects to ensure conformance to City standards and sound engineering principles.
- Ensures construction projects adhere to governmental regulations by advising the appropriate governmental agencies, as needed.
- Oversees utility company construction plans including gas, hydro, telephone and cable for consistency with proposed developments and compatibility with existing services.
- Reviews greenfield and infill development infrastructure needs relative to the City's existing infrastructure and financial sustainability of new works and upgrades. Assists in the development of priorities, long range upgrading and expansion plans.
- Prepares annual department operating budgets and work plans.
- Maximizes individual employee and group performance by carrying out effective hiring, training, coaching, performance appraisals and performance management programs, and empowers employees to make decisions and become involved in work planning.
- Delegates assignments to technicians and prioritizes projects on a department basis.
- Ensures risk management and liability exposures are addressed and monitored.
- Performs other related duties as necessary for the competent, efficient, reasonable and orderly development of the City’s engineering and service requirements.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering supplemented by a minimum of 8 years related experience, including two years supervisory experience in a municipal setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid BC drivers’ license.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of current engineering techniques and municipal legislation including Local Government Act, Community Charter and Utilities Commission Act.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of water distribution, sanitary sewer collection and disposal, storm drainage systems, transportation, and related surface works.
- Extensive knowledge and background in contract management.
- Well-developed knowledge of capital and operating budget preparation (long and short term).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to team work and customer service.
- Strong PC/technology skills and aptitude, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, AutoCAD and Project.
- Familiar with AutoCAD based GIS software.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to deal effectively/courteously with the public.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience within municipalities similar, or greater, in size to Vernon.
- Working knowledge of computer modelling software.
- Extensive background in asset management.
- PEng designation or ASTTBC limited license with equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!