MANAGER, BUILDING SERVICES
Competition #: 85-COV-22
Closing Date: June 28, 2022
Reporting to the Director, Operations Services, this position is responsible for all activities of the Building Services Department, including the maintenance and repair of City owned or leased buildings and properties. The incumbent also oversees contractor services at various City facilities, buildings, grounds and parking areas. This position is responsible for energy management of all City facilities and other sites.
- Advises Senior Management on technical requirements of services within the mandate of the Building Services Department.
- Attends City Council meetings and or other meetings as a resource and/or representative of the City as required.
- Develops and monitors the attainment of Division’s goals and objectives to support the Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Oversees all building construction and maintenance work performed on City facilities, by both City staff and contractors.
- Develops and implements preventive maintenance schedules of building systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, building alarm and security systems, grounds landscaping and parking lot maintenance.
- Develops and implements life-cycle programs to maximize resources available from operating and capital budgets.
- Prepares and maintains preventive maintenance records, service contracts, equipment inventory records, and work orders (both manually and with the City’s computerized asset management system).
- Responsible for researching, identifying and implementing energy saving projects to reduce energy consumption and improve efficiencies for City facilities. Develops operational and maintenance procedures for City facilities to improve energy efficiency.
- Liaises with energy providers (Fortis and BC Hydro) to ensure cost reduction opportunities are available to City of Vernon for projects and operating budgets.
- Researches and prepares grant applications for energy and building projects as they become available.
- Responsible for managing energy and utility operating costs and preparing detailed energy reports.
- Inspects City facilities during the course of construction, renovation and repair to ensure conformity with approved plans and applicable bylaw requirements and recognized regulations.
- Prepares progress reports, building and renovation permit applications, and related documentation related to maintenance and construction of City facilities.
- Recommends to the Director, Operation Services, provisional, annual and capital budget estimates for facility services and for contracted maintenance activities, supplies and utilities, and upon approval, ensures expenditures are within approved limits.
- Monitors and evaluates work performed by contractors and other service providers.
- Performs site inspections of City sites on a regular basis; records and addresses maintenance concerns encountered.
- Carries out cost benefit analysis of service delivery options including contracting out and/or partnerships and recommends appropriate action to Director, Operations.
- Maintains an effective department safety program, which adheres to all WCB regulations, including safety rules and procedures, City policies and other requirements.
- Ensures an effective response process to address system and infrastructure failures and emergencies.
- Manages and controls the security alarm systems for all buildings and staff access codes.
- Ensures all building safety systems including fire alarm and emergency lighting systems are inspected and maintained as required by recognized regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties
Required Education, Certificates And Experience:
- Diploma in a recognized program of building technology. An equivalent amount of education and experience in a related discipline may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years experience managing small capital projects and building maintenance, including 2 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License, with an acceptable driving record.
- As a condition of employment in this position, candidates must pass a Criminal Record Check and obtain and maintain Security Clearance in order to work in the RCMP building.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of WorkSafe BC (WCB) regulations.
- Knowledge of recognized construction codes and regulations including BC Building Code, Electrical Code and Refrigeration Code.
- Familiarity and knowledge of energy efficient technologies.
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm related to energy efficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in the operation of a computer, related software and general office equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of building management including the operation of plumbing systems, electrical systems, Hydronic and air handling systems, and related building systems.
- Able to prepare accurate estimates for construction and repair projects and to interpret blueprints, schematics and construction drawings.
- Able to engage effectively with suppliers in the procurement of construction materials and display confidence with outside service providers engaged in building maintenance work.
- Able to inspect work for conformance to work plans, and established standards and to supervise the work of others, including sub-contractors.
- Able to be a self starter and work with minimal supervision.
- Able to interact well with others; deal tactfully with staff, project stakeholders and the general public.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) designation through the Association of Energy Engineers
- LEED Professional Accreditation
- Level I Certification by the Building Officials Association of BC.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in the operation of Direct Digital Controls (DDC) of building systems.
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!