MAINTENANCE WORKER – RECREATION SERVICES
Competition #: 95-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – August 6, 2021
External applicants – August 13, 2021
Rate of Pay: $33.45 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 7 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation Operations, this position performs regular maintenance and repairs in a variety of building related roles such as minor projects, plumbing and building systems within the Recreation Facilities. This position involves shift work including evenings and weekends.
- Performs routine maintenance repairs to building systems including but not limited to, HVAC servicing, heating, refrigeration, and plumbing, ozone, and chlorine systems.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces pumps, motors, valves, and pool chemical controls systems as required.
- Maintains and services all Recreation Facilities buildings water treatment systems.
- Completes general carpentry and plumbing work such as adjustments to interior and exterior doors, re-lamping of office fixtures, repairing toilet backups and other related building and grounds maintenance tasks as required.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the preventive maintenance program for servicing building systems for the City of Vernon’s Recreation Facilities.
- Completes administrative duties as outlined in the City of Vernon City Works preventive maintenance program.
- Assist in development and implementation of asset management plan.
- Performs Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) site inspections and regular inspections for buildings and grounds.
- Purchases materials required for repair and maintenance.
- Operates a City vehicle in transporting tools, materials, and equipment used in the repair and maintenance tasks.
- Occasionally provides guidance with regard to duties or tasks to custodians, building service workers, arena attendants, and contractors.
- Provides relief for Custodian and Arena Attendants as required.
- Performs general cleanup as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- BC 5th Class Power engineering with Refrigerator Operator or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the building maintenance field, including demonstrated proficiency with HVAC systems.
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers Licence.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Work Safe BC (WCB) regulations and safe operating procedures in relation to building maintenance and ammonia refrigeration.
- Strong communication skills (oral & written) combined with the ability to be courteous, tactful and respectful when dealing with employees, contractors, and members of the general public.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in the use of hand tools, power tools, electrical meter, measuring tools, and equipment related to building maintenance systems.
- Considerable knowledge and skills in the operation and maintenance of HVAC, heating, refrigeration, plumbing, and other related building systems.
- Ability to interpret blueprints, schematics, and construction drawings.
- Strong prioritization skills.
- Ability to obtain Pool Operator Level 1 & 2.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities when performing mechanical and handyman related tasks.
- Proficient computer skills with strong knowledge of Direct Digital Controls, building automation control systems, as well as other related equipment and software.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while following and developing daily and weekly work plans.
- Ability to physically perform the assigned duties.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Related trades certificate
- BC 4th Class Power Engineering
- Low voltage electrical training
- Building Automation controls using Webcontrol, reliable and Delta programming
- Experience working with Aquatics UV Systems
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!