Effective April 1, 2019
Up to 5 positions
Competition #: 29-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – March 5, 2019
External applicants – March 12, 2019
Rate of Pay: $19.37 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Reporting to the Director, Recreation Services, this position involves instructing classes for children and adults in all levels of swimming in the indoor pool and performs normal lifeguard duties.
- Plans, organizes, instructs and evaluates swimming classes at all levels.
- Maintains related class and course records.
- Performs normal lifeguard duties.
- Carries out assigned janitorial and minor preventative maintenance tasks.
- Tests water quality in swimming pools.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum 16 years of age.
- Current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate.
- Current CPR Level C.
- Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard Service Award (Pool Option).
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and tactfully with the public.
- Knowledgeable in normal pool maintenance.
- Able to provide an acceptable criminal record check.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Pool Operators Level I.
- Lifesaving Instructor.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!