INSTRUCTOR - AQUATICS
Up to two (2) positions
Competition #: 130-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 2, 2020
External applicants – January 9, 2020
Rate of Pay: $16.00 - $23.65 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 1 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary. Hours range from 8:30am - 9:30pm, 0 to 20 hrs per week
Reporting to the Director, Recreation Services, this position involves teaching additional swimming lesson sets for children and adults not filled by Lifeguard/Instructors. The incumbents work minimal shifts of limited duration in indoor and/or outdoor swimming pools.
- Plans, organizes and instructs swimming classes at all levels.
- Maintains related class and course records.
- Carries out minor preventative maintenance tasks.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum 16 Years of Age.
- Current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
- Current CPR Level C.
- UP to 6 months experience as a swim instructor
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Capable of working effectively and tactfully with the public.
Preferred Education, and Experience:
- Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard Service Award (Pool Option).
- Ability to teach one or more specialized courses, (Syncro, Competitive Diving or BOAT)
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!