Up to three (3) positions.
Competition #: 126-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – November 12, 2021
External applicants – November 19, 2021
Rate of Pay: $19.10 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: Schedule C (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary, hours vary.
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation Operations, this position assists Arena Attendants in operating and maintaining the Centennial Outdoor Rink and other indoor ice sheets and providing excellent customer service to the various user groups.
- Promotes the safe use of the Centennial Outdoor Rink by encouraging safe enjoyable public skating and shinny hockey play.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness in and around the arenas including the two Centennial Outdoor Rink dressing rooms.
- Operates the ice resurfacing equipment and maintains the Centennial Outdoor Rink ice in safe condition for use such as depths and edging.
- Assists Arena Attendants in maintaining ice in the indoor ice sheets as required.
- Sweeps sidewalks, clears snow, and picks up trash as required.
- Effectively resolves minor problems such as cleaning priorities, and public/program participant issues.
- Reports and refers any bigger issues such as unwanted public behaviour to the Arena Attendant or Recreation Programmer.
- Effectively communicates and exchanges information with co-workers both verbally and in writing.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of
Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate with coworkers and the public.
- Ability to perform manual work such as cleaning and snow removal and sustain the physical demands of the position.
- Must be able to efficiently operate light equipment such as a drill, snow blower and edger.
- Job involves seasonal, irregular shift work including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
- No experience is required. Training will be provided.
- Able to obtain and maintain an acceptable criminal record check.
- Current B.C. Driver's Licence.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- WHMIS certificate.
- Successful completion of a BSW course or cleaning course.
- Previous experience operating ice resurfacing equipment and edger.
- Refrigeration Safety Awareness Certificate
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!