GIS/Asset Management Analyst
Effective Sept 2021 to September 2023, approximately.
Competition #: 107-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 22, 2021
External applicants – September 29, 2021
Rate of Pay: $41.84 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 13 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Infrastructure Management, this position is responsible for the creation, management, analysis, and distribution of the City’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) services to support the organization. This position also supports the City’s asset management and maintenance management programs. This position is highly technical and analytical in nature and requires the aptitude to be self-directed, highly motivated, and possess strong critical thinking skills.
- Administers the City’s GIS system and provides continuous improvement to the quality of the spatial/non-spatial data the City maintains.
- Administers the City’s various asset and computerized maintenance management software (CMMS).
- Provides technical GIS support in the form of analysis and reporting to various City departments (including PSAB, Life Cycle Analysis).
- Assists in the administration of the City’s ArcGIS Server and provisioning and managing map services to support internal and external facing web applications.
- Assists in the development, configuration, and support of internal and external mapping based applications.
- Provides mapping support to City departments for regularly produced map products including zoning and OCP updates and others that support corporate bylaws and policies.
- Compiles, creates, edits, and manages GIS and related datasets such as GPS, as-built, legal drawings, and land surveys.
- Develops resources and delivers training to internal staff.
- Coordinates with software providers and contractors regarding the development and implementation of GIS related software, and associated contracts.
- Provides guidance and assigns tasks to the CAD Technician I.
- Performs additional related work, as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of a diploma in GIS, or a related field, from a recognized institute of technology.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the implementation, data maintenance, reporting, and analysis of GIS or related applications.
- Valid BC drivers’ license Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of GIS principles, standards, techniques, and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of creating, administering, and maintaining enterprise geodatabases, including data modeling.
- Comprehensive knowledge of ESRI software and tools such as desktop ArcMap and/or ArcGIS Pro, Collector, ArcGIS Online/Portal for ArcGIS.
- Experience with GPS and the development of data capture methods and techniques using mobile technology.
- Working knowledge of GIS technology and related fields.
- Working knowledge of maintenance management technology.
- Working knowledge of mapping principles, coordination of geometry and mathematical principles, and of surveying principles, techniques, and procedures as related to the work.
- Strong PC/technology skills and aptitude.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to team work and customer service.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with internal and external clients.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working with local government.
- Experience with Geocortex Essentials software and computerized maintenance management software, preferably Cityworks.
- Experience with versioning and versioned editing workflows.
- Experience with Python scripting for data management, automation, and analysis.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!