FINANCIAL ANALYST, PLANNING & REPORTING
Competition #: 108-COV-19
Closing Date: November 3, 2019
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning and Reporting (Deputy Chief Financial Officer), this position assists with the annual five-year financial plan and the year-end reporting processes. This includes updating salary information and assisting managers with budgeting, reviewing periodic and year end account reconciliations, updating tangible capital asset records, preparing legislatively required reports and reviewing bi-weekly payroll transactions.
- Assists with the creation of the five-year financial plan including updating all department salary information in the budgeting software.
- Assists with educational workshops and one-on-one meetings related to financial planning issues.
- Prepares for review and enters budget amendments resulting from Council resolutions.
- Maintains the integrity of the Chart of Accounts when creating new accounts related to its ongoing maintenance.
- Prepares for review periodic variance reports with analysis for senior management and Council.
- Ensures the preparation and reviews monthly and year-end bank account reconciliations.
- Responsible to insure the timely remittance or refund requests for Provincial Sales Taxes, Goods & Services Taxes and any other federal/provincial taxes.
- Responsible for the regular review of payroll transactions for reasonability and accuracy.
- Coordinates the work of other Financial Services staff to ensure timely account reconciliations and information gathering for year-end purposes.
- Liaison person with designated auditors, responsible for scheduling and coordination of other City staff necessary for audit purposes.
- Responsible for creating the Statistical Information section of the Annual Report.
- Reviews periodic general ledger account reconciliations prepared by in-scope staff for accuracy, reasonability and compliance with accounting standards.
- Reviews periodic reports and remittances for others prepared by in-scope staff.
- Assists the Manager with the completion of the year-end financial report including preparing continuity schedules as required.
- Liaises with Infrastructure Management department staff to insure tangible capital assets are accounted for and to calculate amortization for year-end reporting purposes.
- Prepares periodic and year-end reports required by senior governments (such as: Stats Canada, LGDE and SOFI reports)
- Assists the Manager with the liability and property insurance coverage and claims processes.
- Assigns and reviews work of in-scope staff working in the department.
- Coordinates and participates in the hiring of department in-scope staff.
- Assists the Manager in the development of a strong team through the use of coaching and mentoring.
- Assists the Manager with the performance evaluation of in-scope staff by providing information relating to day to day duties.
- Assists the Manager with the annual process of establishing the next year’s budget as needed.
- Acts as a Signing Officer of the City for the purpose of binding or obligating the City in connection with its accounts and transactions with the bank or other financial institutions.
- Liaison with software suppliers as required related to routine processes for budgeting, general ledger, tangible capital assets and financial reporting.
- Reviews and recommends revisions to policies, procedures and bylaws that support the financial operations of the City.
- Performs other duties as required. The above statements are a general description of the principle functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Business Administration with a focus on Accounting, or equivalent.
- Minimum five years’ progressively responsible experience in an accounting setting.
- Demonstrated experience with Public Sector Accounting Standards and preparation of financial statements.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence Class 5.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated professional and ethical behaviour.
- Adopts professional values consistent with the City including honesty, integrity, due care in work completion, objectivity, independence in mental attitude and professional skepticism.
- Maintains confidentiality and avoids conflicts of interest.
- Familiar with legislation and bylaws related to finance that must be complied with by the City, including, but not limited to, the Community Charter and Local Government Act.
- Familiar with accounting policies and procedures necessary for effective internal controls and efficient account processes.
- Good understanding of accounting principles and recording routine financial transactions.
- Proficient in Microsoft OUTLOOK, EXCEL, WORD, and POWERPOINT.
- Good understanding of financial software systems used in a municipal finance environment, especially related to taxes, utilities, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Good understanding of a cohesive problem-solving process.
- Able to analyse and summarize quantitative and qualitative data, resulting in information that assists management in making decisions.
- Effectively communicates with others, verbally and written, to both obtain and give accurate and relevant information.
- Works effectively as a team member demonstrating commitment to team success and providing timely and constructive feedback as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict between individuals and across teams.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Preference given to candidates with BC local government experience.
- Preference given to candidates in the process of achieving their CPA designation.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!