Competition #: 93-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 4, 2019
External applicants – September 11, 2019
Rate of Pay: $32.85 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 8 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the General Manager, Municipal Support Services - RCMP, this position processes and controls all Detachment exhibits and performs a variety of other related functions as directed.
- Accountable for handling, safe keeping and storage of seized property to preserve continuity of evidence to achieve successful prosecutions in Court. Controls and monitors all exhibit documentation for accuracy and adherence to criminal law and to the policies and guidelines provided, and brings oversights to the attention of the appropriate supervisor or investigator.
- Controls the movement, storage, and disposition/destruction of all Detachment exhibits, soliciting input from investigating members as necessary to protect the integrity of the exhibit system.
- Responds to exhibit-related inquiries from the general public and takes appropriate action by way of dealing with the matter directly or referring the inquiry to the appropriate person.
- Maintains an exhibit diary date system that includes court considerations and appeal periods.
- Conducts ongoing review of exhibits to ensure accuracy and completeness for quality assurance.
- Manages and leads ongoing reviews to improve best business practices and make recommendations for training and education.
- Coordinates and conducts required training and education related to exhibits.
- Provides other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Minimum 3 years’ recent experience in a policing environment in an operational support role such as records review, court liaison, or police exhibit safeguarding
- Valid B.C. Driver’s license
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of RCMP policy, directives and procedures concerning exhibit handling.
- Sound knowledge of PRIME (Police Records Information Management Environment).
- Must be able to obtain, within 3 months, Canadian Firearms Safety Course for non-restricted and restricted weapons.
- Ability to obtain WHMIS upon commencement of the position.
- Ability to review exhibit files for clarity, completeness, accuracy and adherence to policy and procedure.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and effectively prioritize, multi-task and co-ordinate a demanding workload.
- Knowledge of CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) system.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and associated office equipment.
- Proficient working with a variety of computer and related software applications and general office equipment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a RCMP Enhanced Reliability Status security clearance.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!