EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT – MANAGER, REAL ESTATE AND DIRECTOR, CORPORATE SERVICES
Competition #: 82-COV-20
Closing Date: August 26, 2020
Reporting primarily to the Manager, Real Estate and also to the Director, Corporate Services, the incumbent will utilize their administrative expertise in a variety of areas including drafting legal documents, maintaining the Agreement Renewal Tracking System, and coordinating insurance coverage, assessments, and payments. In addition, the Executive Assistant – Manager, Real Estate and Director, Corporate Services performs a variety of clerical and administrative work in keeping official records and providing administrative support to the Division.
- Assists in drafting legal documents, including but not limited to leases, licenses, tenancy agreements, statutory rights of way, road dedications, and Local Government forms.
- Prepares and maintains confidential files and records of the Corporation.
- Coordinates insurance coverage, assessments, and payments.
- Participates in the Real Estate department budget preparation and monitors department expenditures and flags budget and expenditure variances for review with the Manager, Real Estate.
- Prepares a wide variety of items including reports, technical and legal correspondence, minutes, agendas, notices, bylaws, agreements, and contracts.
- Maintains and tracks agreements and lease renewals.
- Calculates simple valuations on real property.
- Provides back up coverage for the Executive Assistant to the Mayor and CAO.
- Completes background research using relevant associations such as BC Online, CivicNet, or related programs for assigned projects.
- Prepares confidential correspondence and materials for Council meetings and distributes reports, memorandums, and other communications as directed.
- Reviews real estate plans and maps.
- Performs various clerical duties including maintaining departmental files and records, copying and distributing a variety of documents and following up on outstanding documents for registration and execution.
- Responds to public and staff inquiries on matters relating to the Department and provides information or re-directs to appropriate staff.
- Liaises with various parties to complete legal transactions and ensures documents are maintained as permanent records.
- Provides administrative assistance to the Director of Corporate Services, as required.
- Responsible for coding and distribution of legal invoices to responsible department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Completion of a recognized Legal Secretary or Office Administration Certificate, or other related certificate program.
- Minimum 3 years’ as an administrative assistant that includes experience in at least one of the following areas: conveyancing, survey, real estate law, and/or appraisals.
- Experience reviewing real estate plans and maps.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation, and grammar.
- Working knowledge of office procedures, functional terminology, and departmental regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel, Word (including mail merges), PowerPoint, and other related software.
- Skilled production of neat, accurate typing of 55 correct words per minute.
- Exercises courtesy, tact, diplomacy, and some persuasion in the exchange of non-routine information with other City employees, businesses, and members of the general public.
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing.
- Sound knowledge of standard office equipment.
- Exceptionally well-organized and able to work effectively with minimal guidelines and supervision.
- Exercises mature judgment regarding confidential & sensitive information.
- Excellent telephone skills.
- Flexible and able to prioritize work in a fast-paced, environment, working to a deadline.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Experience in municipal government
- Real Estate or Appraisal Licenses
- Knowledge of the Community Charter, Local Government Act, and FOIPPA Legislation
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!