ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNING ASSISTANT
Immediately to July 31, 2020, approximately
Competition #: 43-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – April 3, 2019
External applicants – April 10, 2019
Rate of Pay: $40.71 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 14 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Long Range Planning and Sustainability this position performs a full range of technical planning support functions requiring skilled planning and regulatory work. This position supports the planning review process for environmental permit applications; provides information and interprets regulations, policies and processes; makes recommendations to development applicants and various internal and external clients; undertakes the creation and dissemination of community outreach and education materials.
- Provides information and interprets regulations, policies and processes associated with development as well as protection measures for riparian and sensitive ecosystems; processes and monitors same.
- Reviews and assesses plans and a variety of documents related to development plans or proposals for technical accuracy and compliance with the OCP and Development Permit Areas.
- Coordinates various land use applications, where required.
- Prepares and presents reports to Council as directed.
- Prepares educational material for a wide variety of audiences.
- Provides site specific interpretations of City bylaws, policies and regulations and/or other general planning information prior to the submission of development applications.
- Participates on a variety of Committees as assigned and attends Public Hearings, Public information meetings, and Council meetings as directed.
- At the direction of the Manager, Long Range Planning and Sustainability, organizes sustainability themed public events and implements the environmental public education campaign.
- Reviews and processes environmental components of development applications and capital works projects.
- Maintains application process tracking records and data, creates and maintains databases, maintains electronic drawing and map files through the use of various automated systems.
- Receives and processes payments and securities for development applications and authorizes the release of securities where appropriate.
- Assists with the development of bylaws as required.
- Researches and/or prepares planning reports, diagrams and plans as required.
- Involved with the comprehensive processes related to the variety of land use, development permit and variance permit, rezoning, building and subdivision applications.
- Responds to inquiries related to planning, zoning, subdivisions and design control bylaws and associated policies and procedures.
- Reviews and processes permits including, but not limited to, site preparation permits and soil removal/deposition permits.
- Prepares mapping for application review as required.
- Participates in the preparation of neighbourhood, agricultural and community energy plans and other such planning initiatives.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Environmental Studies or equivalent, supplemented by at least 2 years related experience.
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of computer applications and related software including, but not limited to database, graphics, GIS, Illustrator and Excel.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A working knowledge of the principles and practices of environmental protection and management and community planning.
- A thorough knowledge of zoning, planning-related bylaws and environmental regulations as applied to municipalities.
- A working knowledge of environmental policies and challenges in the Okanagan.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including the ability to write, prepare and communicate technical information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and sound judgment in the discussion of technical planning matters with developers, consultants, senior government representatives, City employees and members of the general public.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Planning.
- Member in good standing with the PIBC/APB.
- Previous experience in a municipal planning environment.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!