ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN - UTILITIES
Competition #: 63-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – June 15, 2020
External applicants – June 22, 2020
Rate of Pay: $42.35 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 14 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Utilities this technical position is involved with a variety of electrical control systems installed within new or existing facilities related to water, sanitary, and storm utilities for City of Vernon. This may include occasional opportunities to assist other stakeholders such as the Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) and/or District of Coldstream, Electoral Areas B and C or others by request.
- Installs, calibrates, maintains, modifies and troubleshoots the electrical and instrumentation Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, Human Machine Interfaces (HMI’s) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s) and associated equipment required for the supply, treatment and distribution of water; and the treatment and collection of sanitary and storm utilities.
- Maintains the alarm system process that establishes alarm response based on field site system faults and failures.
- Provides input on technical design, equipment and system control specifications with recommendations as they relate to SCADA, HMI’s and PLC’s for water, sanitary and storm infrastructure.
- Is a member of the team involved in the inspection and quality assurance of new installations as they relate to site system operation, SCADA, HMI’s and PLC’s.
- Prepares and modifies as built drawings for existing electrical/instrument control systems for water, sanitary and storm utilities.
- Maintains the City process electrical distribution equipment. Maintains annual electrical permits for electrical sites and facilities for the Utilities department. Registration with BC Safety Authority is to be maintained and is mandatory.
- Installs communication towers up to 23m (75') and related infrastructure.
- Maintains an as-built drawing inventory of telemetry equipment for all SCADA sites.
- Provides hardware and maintenance support to Operators and other stakeholders involved in the operation/maintenance of the equipment and system controls at sites and facilities.
- Generates work orders for required operational needs.
- Operates fleet vehicles and equipment in compliance with provincial regulations and municipal bylaws. This involves daily vehicle and equipment checks documented and forwarded to Fleet Operations for malfunctions or required repairs.
- Call-out and shift work will be required. Responds to after hour calls and takes corrective action as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- 5 years electrical experience as a journeyman electrician.
- Completion of an Electrical Trade Diploma program OR Certificates of Proficiency (Apprenticeship) in BC or Interprovincial as an Electrician Journeyman
- FSR number with the BC Safety Authority
- Valid BC Driver’s license, Class 5
- WHMIS Training
- First Aid Level I or equivalent
- Confined Space Training
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) combined with the ability to exercise diplomacy, courtesy, tact and be respectful when dealing with employees, contractors, and members of the general public
- Extensive knowledge of WorkSafe regulations and the City of Vernon safety procedures and policies concerning entering excavations, restricted areas and confined spaces, lock-out procedures, working alone, handling of chemicals and hazardous goods, chlorination alarms, disinfection alarms, working in traffic and other safety issues as required
- Knowledge of PLC and HMI programming and applications such as Winn911, WinnCC, Telepace, Spectrum
- Knowledge of network communications including Ethernet and UHF radios and wiring & hardware requirements
- Full knowledge of electric motors and configuration of variable frequency drives, soft starts, full voltage starters and stand by generators that exist in all pump and lift stations
- Demonstrated problem resolution abilities
- Proficient in the use of computers and related software (Microsoft Office)
- Self-starter and ability to pre-plan and carry out tasks with limited supervision
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job including working in all weather conditions
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check
- Knowledge of power distribution systems and process controls
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Experience working with Siemens Systems
- CAD related courses and experience
- Experience with utilization and customization of databases Radio and/or telephone telemetry experience
- Siemens PLC programming Certification Level 1 WINCC certification
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!