DIRECTOR, RECREATION SERVICES
Competition #: 149-COV-22
Closing Date: October 19, 2022
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this position provides leadership and direction to the Recreation Services Division which includes Community Recreation programming, Aquatics administration and maintenance, and Arenas administration and maintenance, and all related capital development.
Provides Strategic Leadership:
- Assumes a leadership role in the development and delivery of Division goals and objectives to support the successful achievement of Council’s Strategic Plan.
- Participates as a member of the Senior Management Team and provides strategic leadership and expert advice.
- Reviews, develops, and recommends new and revised Divisional policies and procedures to respond to changing needs and legislation and/or achieve improvements, cost savings and revenue generation.
- Maintains a high level on inter-departmental communications, organizational morale, integrity, and pride.
- Recommends and implements Divisional objectives that support Council’s Corporate Goals and Objectives, the Corporate Strategic Plan, and the evolving business environment.
- Manages the Recreation Facilities and Programming Fee for Service Agreement between the Regional District of North Okanagan, District of Coldstream, and the City of Vernon. Guides periodic renegotiation of the Service Agreement with the parties to the Agreement.
- Balances the need to offer a broad spectrum of contemporary recreation programming options with the need to recover programming and facilities costs and to maximize revenue generating opportunities.
- Attends Council meetings in an advisory capacity and presents information and advice as required.
- Guides professional development and growth of Division Managers.
- Responsible for Community Recreation.
- Responsible for Arenas.
- Responsible for Aquatics.
Manages Business Affairs of the Division:
- Recommends and implements Division goals that support Council’s Corporate Goals and Objectives, the Corporate Strategic Plan, and changing legislation.
- Reviews, develops, and recommends new and revised Divisional procedures to respond to changing needs and legislation and/or achieve service improvements, cost savings, and revenue generation.
- Responsible for managing talent acquisition and retention, performance management, including discipline, makes recommendations regarding promotion/termination of Divisional staff, responsible for planning and recommending adequate staffing levels for the Division.
- Develops annual performance leadership plan for Division managers and key staff, provides regular feedback and coaching to staff, and identifies areas for performance improvement and professional development.
- Represents the Division in grievances and other labour relations matters as required.
- Develops and manages the Division budget.
- Ensures compliance with WorkSafe BC legislation and corporate Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Ensures the safety of the public while using Division facilities.
- Ensures risk management and liability exposures are addressed and monitored.
- Ensures user groups and individuals are provided with opportunities for feedback and input on recreation programs and facilities.
- Identifies any unusual occurrences or circumstances to the CAO.
- Prepares reports, recommendations and correspondence.
- Ensures grant opportunities are pursued.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Recreation Administration.
- Minimum 10 years progressive related experience in recreation management or administration, including direct responsibility for the management of multi-sport recreation facilities.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated involvement in provincial recreation association(s).
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a complex team.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Demonstrated ability in identification and preventative measures of risks and hazards associated with recreation programming and facilities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to teamwork and customer service skills.
- Ability to deal effectively/courteously with the public.
- Ability to multitask and manage competing priorities while working toward Division objectives.
- Computer and related software, general office equipment including familiarity with preventative maintenance software and building maintenance software.
- Creative and innovative leadership in the delivery of recreation programming.
- Effective problem solving skills and the ability to resolve conflict among staff or with users and user groups.
- Ability to prepare and manage operating major maintenance and capital budgets.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with changing priorities, deadlines and to readily adapt to change.
- Proven ability to research subject matter and to provide sound professional recommendations to ensure an effective and efficient local government service.
- A passion for growing, developing and empowering staff, and proven ability to apply modern and progressive performance management and performance leadership approaches, such as coaching and mentoring.
- Leads with integrity.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following areas: Recreation Programming, Facility Management, Aquatics, Arenas.
- Demonstrated success in large scale, complex project management.
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!