DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Job Description Under Review
Competition #: 60-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 21, 2021
External applicants – May 30, 2021
Rate of Pay: $36.22 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 9 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Communications and Grants, this position is responsible for the administration and coordination of information on the City’s digital communication channels (websites, mobile app, intranet, and social media channels), assists with the creation of multimedia content, and provides communications support upon request.
- Updates and maintains information on the City’s external websites, mobile app, intranet, and social media channels, ensuring material is accessible, current, effective, and informative.
- Facilitates the creation of web pages, electronic forms and processes to assist all City departments with communication and stakeholder engagement efforts on the City’s digital platforms.
- Provides technical assistance and training to City employees in relation to basic web content management, online engagement tools, and digital communication platforms.
- Ensures content on the City’s digital communication channels aligns with the City’s Strategic Communications Plan and Visual Identity Standards.
- Develops and implements a digital content calendar and content campaigns for the City’s websites, intranet, and social media channels, in collaboration with the Manager, Communications and Grants.
- Liaises with external website and app CMS providers and other software providers for maintenance, updates, and modifications as required.
- Assists with multimedia content creation and graphic design as requested.
- Assists with digital asset management of City-owned multimedia content that is pertinent to the Communications department.
- Conducts ongoing market research and environmental scans of digital communication efforts by other Canadian local governments, and digital communication best practices, to make appropriate recommendations for adjustments to digital communication strategies, content and processes.
- Assists with researching and creating communication materials as requested to support media/public relations and stakeholder engagement efforts.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline.
- Basic training in HTML coding.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing websites and social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram.
- BC Driver’s License Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, exhibiting courtesy, professionalism and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent reasoning and troubleshooting skills, with the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Sound judgement and critical thinking abilities.
- Strong computer skills, ability to understand and process information logically.
- Basic understanding of HTML coding.
- Ability to type a minimum of 55 wpm.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud programs such as Premiere Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Audition.
- Proven public relations or marketing skills utilizing websites and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
- Excellent writing abilities with thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation and grammar.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience working with digital publishing tools such as Adobe Creative Cloud an asset.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!