Up to two (2) positions
Competition #: 57-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 14, 2021
External applicants – May 21, 2021
Rate of Pay: $27.90 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / varies
Reporting to the Manager, Detention Facility, the Detention Guard is responsible for the safeguarding of prisoners and their personal effects while adhering to all safety and security policies and protocols. This position receives functional direction from the on-duty RCMP Watch Commander.
- Responsible for the safety, security, and welfare of each prisoner in custody.
- Maintains awareness of prisoner activities, inspects prisoners in cells at frequent intervals, and requests prisoners to refrain from property damage and unnecessary noise or disturbance.
- Maintains more frequent inspections of prisoners identified as high risk.
- Maintains prisoner log book and Prisoner Reports (C-13) and records all prisoner information including but not limited to cell inspection observations, unusual occurrences, visitations, telephone calls, prisoner requests, removal of prisoners and changes of guard.
- Reports all irregularities and concerns, such as injuries, abuse or medical status of the prisoners in the cellblock to the on-duty RCMP Watch Commander.
- Heats and dispenses prepared pre-processed meals to prisoners.
- Dispenses prescribed medication to prisoners as directed by a doctor.
- Assists members with data entry and form creation during the prisoner booking process utilizing various RCMP computer programs.
- Assists members with obtaining fingerprints and photographs of prisoners.
- Obtains fingerprints of members of the public for court and civil purposes.
- Maintains prisoner tracking systems and documentation.
- Responsible for cleaning and disinfecting cells and general booking areas. This includes but is not limited to, sweeping, mopping, disinfecting, removing all garbage, inspecting cells before prisoners enter and after prisoners leave ensuring the cells are free of all contraband.
- Liaises with Sheriff’s, Corrections, and other agencies regarding the transfer or escort of prisoners and personal effects as required.
- Answers after hours lobby telephone calls and forwards to appropriate personnel for response.
- May assist with the extraction and downloading of detention facility video data as required for RCMP investigations.
- May assist with the collection of court ordered DNA samples, endorses the court documents.
- May be required to provide evidence in court.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Up to 6 months experience in a correctional facility, security role, or related experience
- First Aid Certification, Level One
- WHMIS Certificate or (candidate without will be required to complete within the first month of employment)
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply departmental regulations, policies, and procedures with respect to the guarding of prisoners and cellblock security
- Works with minimal supervision and effectively prioritizes and coordinates workload
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing
- Manages interactions with prisoners consistent with applicable policies and process
- Follows and adheres to established policies and procedures
- Skilled in the operation of computers and applicable software programs with reasonable speed and accuracy
- Proficient in the use of associated office equipment
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check
- Ability to obtain and maintain a RCMP Enhanced Reliability Status security clearance.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous guarding or related experience
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!