DETENTION FACILITY COORDINATOR - RCMP
Competition #: 35-COV-19
Closing Date: April 7, 2019
Reporting to the General Manager, Municipal Support Services, the Detention Facility Coordinator is responsible for the daily safe and secure operation of the Vernon RCMP detention facility. This includes leading and supervising the detention guards in the care and handling of all prisoners, and the coordination of DNA sampling. This position receives functional direction from the on-duty RCMP Watch Commander.
- Supervises the safeguarding of prisoners and their personal effects ensuring adherence to established safety and security protocols.
- Prioritizes workloads, approves leave, supervises, trains, and monitors the duties and responsibilities provided by the detention guards.
- Ensures appropriate custodial guard staffing levels are maintained and scheduled to meet requirements.
- Assists with recruitment, effectively onboards new detention guards, monitors performance, and exercises corrective action, in consultation with the General Manager, Municipal Support Services - RCMP.
- Recommends annual staff learning and development plan and ensures that staff participate in learning and development opportunities to meet City objectives and career goals.
- Responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the detention facility including audio, visual, and computer systems, ensuring it is maintained to RCMP standards, and promptly reports deficiencies or repair requirements to the City of Vernon’s Building Maintenance department, Information Services department, and contractors.
- Collects court ordered DNA samples and forwards them to the National DNA Data Bank, endorses the court documents and updates the corresponding police file.
- Responsible for the extraction, downloading, and conversion of detention facility video data as required for RCMP investigations.
- Assists RCMP Members in the booking process as required.
- Fingerprints and photographs prisoners and members of the public as required.
- Maintains the computerized Criminal Arrest and Booking System (CABS) data and collects and maintains prisoner statistics.
- Responsible for maintaining the inventory of prisoner meal supplies and general supplies including health supplies i.e. first aid kits, protective gloves, masks, face shields, coveralls.
- Monitors contracted services for quality and adherence to contract terms and conditions.
- Responsible for completing monthly health and safety inspections.
- Ensures Standard Operating Procedures with respect to prisoner safety and handling are current and accurate according to RCMP policies and established best practices.
- Attends court proceedings and provides evidence as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Minimum one year post-secondary education in a related field or discipline.
- Minimum 3 years’ recent full-time experience in a custodial prisoner environment, including a minimum of one year supervisory experience.
- Emergency First Aid Certificate or (candidate without will be required to complete within the first month of employment).
- B.C. Class 5 Drivers Licence.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies and Standard Operating Procedures with respect to the guarding of prisoners and cellblock security.
- Proficient in the use of computers and related software, audio visual, and general office equipment.
- Sound administrative, organizational, and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with a commitment to team.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and uses effective coaching techniques to develop the skills and abilities of the guards.
- Interprets departmental regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Communicates tactfully and effectively with a variety of populations.
Conditions of Employment:
- Completion DNA Sample Collection Course within two months of employment.
- Obtain Special Provincial Constable – DNA appointment.
- Obtain and maintain an RCMP Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Obtain and maintain an RCMP Reliability Security clearance.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Completion Police Academy or Justice Institute programs.
- Previous police experience.
- Post-secondary diploma in business, or relevant educational program.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!