Competition #: 104-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 10, 2021
External applicants – September 17, 2021
Rate of Pay: $30.66 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 5 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Reporting to the Director, Recreation Services, this position involves instructing classes for children and adults in all levels of swimming in the indoor pool and performs normal lifeguard duties. This position provides guidance on deck when necessary.
- Plans, organizes, instructs and evaluates swimming classes at all levels.
- Maintains related class and course records.
- Performs normal lifeguard duties.
- Carries out assigned janitorial and minor preventative maintenance tasks.
- Tests and adjusts water quality in swimming pools including adding chemicals.
- Provides guidance and determines choice of action if/when required.
- Deals with or settles requests and minor complaints from the public.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the city in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Holder of a current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification.
- Holder of a current CPR Level C.
- Holder of a current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard Service Award (Pool Option).
- Current holder of one of the following advanced certifications (Pool Operator Level 1, LSI, NLSI, FAI).
- Over 6 months and up to 1 year (FTE) experience as a Lifeguard / Instructor.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be capable of working effectively and tactfully with staff and members of the public.
- Knowledgeable in normal pool maintenance.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to provide an acceptable criminal record check.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
- Water testing equipment, air testing equipment, oxygen equipment, first aid equipment and two way radios.
- Knowledge of the CLASS software system for program registration and facility booking.
- Pool Operators Level 1 Certificate.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!