Up to two (2) positions
Competition #: 106-COV-18
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 12, 2018
External applicants – September 19, 2018
Rate of Pay: $26.02 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Director, Recreation Services, this position performs custodial and building maintenance tasks ensuring that the pool and recreation facilities are maintained at established levels of cleanliness and operation.
- Performs custodial responsibilities for the City of Vernon’s recreation facilities and includes the cleaning and general maintenance of the facilities interiors and exteriors.
- Completes the care and cleaning of floors such as vacuuming, sweeping and mopping, stripping and polishing, waxing of the floors.
- Cleans and maintains the pool area change rooms including the pool deck, walls, floors, showers, lockers, and sinks and all fixtures within the facility.
- Ensures bathroom amenities are in working order.
- Cleans and cares for all furniture and dusts, waxes, and polishes as required.
- Cleans rooms including dusting, washing walls, windows, and all fixtures.
- Collects and transfers garbage as per protocols.
- Responsible for kitchen cleanliness and maintenance including; washing, drying, and polishing kitchenware.
- Replaces lamps, light switches, and faucet washers, and oils locks, windows hinges, and all other items within the facility as required.
- Prepares building for daily use by monitoring heating and air conditioning systems, positioning furniture, and opening and/or closing doors as required.
- Receives and replenishes janitorial supplies delivered to the buildings.
- Responsible for the set up and take down of events which includes but is not limited to, tables, chairs, portable stages and partitions, and moving office furniture.
- Ensures user compliance with rental agreements and the safe use of the facilities.
- Ensures buildings are safely locked upon completion of daily shift.
- Performs general ground maintenance such as sweeping sidewalks, clearing snow, and picking up refuse as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Completion of a Building Service Maintenance course; Class 5 B.C Drivers’ License.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard methods, materials and equipment used in janitorial care and maintenance of facilities.
- Proficient in the use of an auto scrubber, rotary buffer-polisher, snow blower, power tools, and leaf blower.
- Ability to understand and execute oral instructions.
- Demonstrated physical strength and agility sufficient to perform the work.
- Demonstrated self-starter.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgement.
- Good communication skills (oral & written) combined with the ability to be courteous, tactful, and respectful when dealing with employees, contractors, and members of the general public.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!