CPIC & RECORDS
Effective immediately. Subject to the return of the incumbent
Competition #: 76-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – July 11, 2019
External applicants – July 18, 2019
Rate of Pay: $30.22 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 6 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Records and PRIME - RCMP, this position is responsible for the data entry and maintenance in the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) computer application. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for file creation, maintenance and quality assurance of the RCMP Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME) operational data.
- Performs all categories of data entry into the CPIC data base in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews RCMP PRIME operational files and the British Columbia Justice Information System (JUSTIN) to confirm and extract information required for CPIC entries and maintenance ensuring data is valid and accurate.
- Reviews and performs maintenance of PRIME operational files for accuracy and compliance with Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics (CCJS) and Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) guidelines and legislation.
- Creates electronic and hardcopy operational files in accordance with PRIME policy and maintains weekly police information reports.
- Monitors CPIC vmail queue and disseminates and responds as required.
- Monitors CPIC transactions and performs CPIC maintenance as required.
- Performs PRIME and CPIC quality assurance reviews and actions monthly CPIC purge and validation lists.
- Responds to CPIC and Records information queries from various internal and external agencies and prepares and distributes information in compliance with policy and legislation.
- Answers incoming telephone calls and directs as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Post-secondary certificate in Office Administration, Legal Secretary or equivalent education.
- Minimum 1 year recent experience in police records management, including file review and CPIC maintenance.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the police records and reporting system(s).
- Knowledge of the criminal justice procedures and the Criminal Code of Canada, and federal, provincial and municipal acts such as the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Knowledge of CPIC policy and maintenance regulations.
- Knowledge of federal, provincial, municipal legislation and statutes in relation to police reporting such as the Statistics Act.
- Ability to use police records management computer applications such as PRIME, CPIC and Justice Information System (JUSTIN).
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with team members, police officers, and internal and external agencies.
- Ability to successfully complete the CPIC Operators course.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Police Information Check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an RCMP Enhanced Reliability Status.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!