(Part Time, Temporary)
Effective immediately until the return of the incumbent
Competition #: 81-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants - August 13, 2020
External applicants - August 20, 2020
Rate of Pay: $34.18 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 8 - Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 6.25 hrs/day, one week on, one week off.
Reporting to the Manager Records and PRIME - RCMP, this position assists police by acting as a two-way information conduit between the police and the other court agencies while exercising some independence of judgement and action within departmental regulations, policies and procedures and within applicable laws and legal practices.
- Receives and reviews Report to Crown Counsel (RTCC) packages in PRIME and corresponding hardcopy and submits to Crown Counsel via British Columbia’s Justice Information System (JUSTIN) interface.
- Liaises with Crown Counsel, Court Registry, and the investigating police officer(s) to arrange for the processing of prisoners in custody at Vernon/North Okanagan Detachment.
- Liaises with Crown Counsel, the Watch Commander and appropriate authorities in dealing with Vernon/North Okanagan Detachment prisoners being held in custody at other locations on Vernon Detachment warrants.
- Ensures that fingerprints and photographs are obtained, retained, and submitted to Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Service (CCRTIS) as required, follows through to disposition and notifies the investigating police officer(s) of any oversight or non-compliance.
- Delivers all court related documents to designated Vernon/North Okanagan Detachment personnel and outside agencies as appropriate.
- Receives, sorts, and forwards incoming court related documents, warrants, prohibitions, probations and release orders to the CPIC Operator for addition, modification or deletion.
- Returns completed documentation regarding service of summons and subpoenas to the Court Clerk and Crown Counsel for processing.
- Updates PRIME files with on-going court dates (diary dates) from JUSTIN.
- Updates PRIME files, Court Folders and Known Offender Records with charge disposition, and submits the disposition into the Criminal Justice Information Management System (CJIM) for processing in accordance with the Federal Canadian Identification of Criminals Act.
- Assigns the court nondisclosure information diary date on PRIME files.
- Ensures the destruction of fingerprints and photographs as appropriate.
- Monitors and receives Crown Counsel communications via JUSTIN and disseminates to the investigating RCMP officer(s) for the appropriate action.
- Swears Informations prepared by Crown Counsel and applies for court processes (i.e.) summons and warrants as requested by RCMP officer(s) or Crown Counsel using the information provided.
- Responsible for responding to telephone inquiries regarding Vernon/North Okanagan RCMP investigational court files.
- Prepares ED6084 disclosure form from the police officer’s ED5884 submission on all RTCC in accordance with McNEIL Disclosure requirements.
- Maintains and monitors JUSTIN participant data by updating shift schedules, courses, and vacation/sick absences of police officer(s).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Assists the City of Vernon in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion Legal Secretary or Office Administration Certificate or other equivalent education.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence, Class 5.
- Minimum 3 years’ recent experience, within the last five years, in a police, legal or judicial office.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A thorough knowledge of PRIME and JUSTIN computer applications.
- A thorough knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures that apply to the duties noted.
- Knowledge of the functions performed by each of the agencies that collectively constitutes the justice system.
- Knowledge of the court system operations as influenced by Police, Crown Counsel, Court Registry and Probation.
- Knowledge of the Criminal Code, Youth Criminal Justice Act and Identification of Criminals Act as they relate to the taking and processing of fingerprints and photographs and release of records.
- Knowledge of the forms and formats used to pass information between the various agencies that compose the justice system and an awareness of the use and significance of each form used.
- Knowledge of the operational records keeping system including relevant computer applications.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check to fulfil the mandatory requirement for a Provincial Special Constable Appointment for the purpose of swearing informations.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts and to communicate tactfully and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to obtain and maintain RCMP security clearance.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!