COUNTER CLERK I
Subject to the return of the incumbent
Competition #: 55-COV-22
Closing Date: Internal applicants – April 13, 2022
External applicants – April 20, 2022
Rate of Pay: $34.12 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 7 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Building and Licensing, this position receives and processes various applications used within Community Infrastructure and Development Services including Business Licences. This position performs a variety of administrative and clerical duties.
- Receives and processes various applications received in Community Infrastructure and Development Services including Business Licences.
- Answers telephone; responds to in-person and written requests for information.
- Reviews applications to ensure compliance with documentation requirements.
- Answers non-technical inquiries and makes referrals to other staff and government ministries as appropriate.
- Administers the Business Licences function in accordance with the Business Licence Bylaw.
- Administers the Building Permit function in accordance of the Building and Plumbing Bylaw.
- Enters payments, prepares bank deposit and balances cash receipting system. Maintains float for cash receipting system.
- Assists the Building Inspection staff with the administration of the building inspection function.
- Ensures that an adequate supply of forms, applications, brochures, information packages are available for the public.
- Refers Business Licence enforcement matters to Bylaw Enforcement staff.
- Maintains records in accordance with established standards and requirements.
- Enters utility record information into computer data base.
- Prepares reports or special projects as requested or required.
- Assists in the preparation of Operational and Capital budgets.
- Identifies the need for new policies or procedures that respond to the changing needs and/or that achieve efficiencies, cost savings or revenue generation.
- Complies with WCB regulations, identifies safety concerns, and participates in corporate safety performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon are required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of an office administration or related program.
- Minimum 1 year administrative experience preferably in municipal government.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to achieve at least 100 keystrokes per minute data entry
- Able to type 55 correct words per minute
- Able to efficiently use office computer systems & software
- Able to deal courteously, tactfully and effectively with the public and staff
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated organization skills; multi-tasker by nature
- Able to prepare reports and correspondence
- Exercises sound judgment in problem solving
- Able to interpret documents, bylaws, etc. of a technical nature and communicate same to the public
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Working knowledge of the City's Business License Bylaw
- Ability to complete City identified training in municipal administration, business licensing, building, planning, engineering and/or subdivision development.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience using software currently in use by the City
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!