CO-OP STUDENT – MUNICIPAL TECHNICIAN III - TRANSPORTATION
May 6, 2019 to August 31, 2019
Competition #: 45-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – April 5, 2019
External applicants – April 14, 2019
Rate of Pay: $33.62 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 15 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary, including evenings and weekends / 25 hours per week
The City of Vernon encourages all enthusiastic engineering students to apply. The successful candidate will be working towards a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field from an accredited technical institute.
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation, this position is responsible for the planning and design of transportation related infrastructure and roadworks for all modes of transportation including transit, walking and cycling.
- Designs and reviews the transportation related aspects of municipal works including transit, pedestrian, and cycle facilities.
- Performs site assessments and safety audits as required to ensure stability and safety of all road users.
- Assists in the development, interpretation, and maintenance of computer modelling of the City's transportation network.
- Organises, conducts, and analyses traffic surveys including, but not limited to, traffic movement and control, accident analysis, safety and parking.
- Coordinates the purchase and maintenance, including installation and removal, of transportation data collection equipment.
- Responds to inquiries regarding all modes of transportation, traffic movement and restriction, on-street parking, road safety and resolves complaints related to development and City bylaws, policies and other requirements.
- Prepares design layouts for street markings, safety engineering and traffic controls signs; prepares specifications for traffic control equipment; reviews signal design and ensures conformance with municipal, provincial and national standards.
- Prepares engineering drawings using computer aided drafting methods.
- Participates in the coordination of capital works projects including preparing material lists and cost estimates, obtaining design criteria such as survey, geotechnical and drafting work, and consulting with Operations personnel. Outputs include Expressions of Interest and/or Request for Proposals, Tender Documents, as necessary, for the retention of consultants, and/or contractors for design and construction of the works.
- Assists other departments in the preparation and revision of the annual capital works budget to meet Council and City infrastructure directives.
- Provides background information and reviews and provides recommendations for studies relating to area and regional servicing including transit.
- Assists other departments in the preparation of funding mechanisms including Latecomer Bylaws, Works Contribution Agreements, Local Service Areas, and Development Cost Charges.
- Assists with field inspections of constructed transportation elements for compliance with approved design.
- Assists with maintenance of the City's Integrated Transportation Framework and other transportation infrastructure maintenance programs.
- Assists other departments with the preparation of servicing reports related to proposed subdivisions and developments.
- Assists with review of building permit applications and engineering design drawings of proposed developments for compliance with City standards and bylaws.
- Assists with developing terms of reference for Transportation Impact Assessments and Traffic Impact Studies.
- Processes Access, Road Right of Way and Special Event permits. Assists with review and issuance of approval permits to utility companies for proposed construction/relocation of water, gas, hydro and telephone mains, ducts or lines.
- Develops and maintains good external contacts with applicable contractors, suppliers, distributors, government regulatory agencies, private organizations, and utility groups on matters relating to municipal projects and industry practice.
- Meets with developers, contractors, staff and the public to discuss projects and provide direction and recommendations in accordance with City standards and development requirements.
- Assists with holding public meetings related to municipal transportation engineering, development and other City initiatives. May be required to act as Chair in the absence of the Manager.
- Provides revisions to the transportation related sections of the Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw to ensure it is consistent with sound transportation practice and promotes accepted development practices.
- Provides technical support and writes Council Reports for Council presentations and presents reports to Council if and as requested.
- Investigates, researches, and prepares reports on transportation issues as requested.
- Researches and provides data for transportation studies related to the area and region servicing.
- Coordinates with City staff to ensure project development, initiatives, studies and reports are carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Work towards a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field from an accredited technical institute.
- BC Driver's Licence, Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of design concepts, standards and guidelines related to municipal engineering.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal, provincial and federal regulations related to land and infrastructure development.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill with the latest version of AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel and Word, or other applicable software programs.
- Considerable knowledge of complex technical and legislative regulations regarding land development and transportation infrastructure.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) combined with the ability to exercise diplomacy, courteousness, tact, and be respectful when dealing with employees, contractors and members of the general public.
- Construction inspecting including construction layout, conformity with design, and tender documents, generation of deficiency lists, and documentation of site inspections.
- Ability to co-ordinate design and construction projects.
- Ability to work with no supervision.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Association with and/or knowledge of Master Municipal Construction Document, Transportation Association of Canada, and other technical infrastructure, land, or legislative associations is an asset.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!