CASHIER / DATA ENTRY CLERK
Effective May 8, 2020 to July 17, 2020, approximately
Competition #: 37-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – March 2, 2020
External applicants – March 9, 2020
Rate of Pay: $27.35 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, Hours vary.
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, this position receives, records and balances various cash amounts, processes information from source documents into the accounting system, and verifies the accuracy of data input.
- Receives cash and cheques in the mail and processes them through the cash receipting system.
- Balances cheques with audit trail daily.
- Completes cash outs and prepares bank deposits.
- Provides factual information to the public related to taxes, rates, fees and other accounts.
- Performs a variety of record keeping and clerical tasks related to cashiering.
- Sorts source documents into order and batches.
- Records the completion of accounts receivable folders as required.
- Acts as the first point of contact and responds inquiries from the public relating to basic Revenue inquiries.
- Assist customers with completing utility and property tax forms.
- Creates files and posts information from Tempest to Vadim, (Glint process).
- Scans source documents into electronic media and files and shreds documents as required.
- Folds and inserts utility and property tax documents on specialized equipment.
- Distributes mail (incoming and outgoing) for Revenue, twice daily.
- Restocks revenue forms and business cards.
- Maintains inventory of data processing supplies and equipment.
- Maintains inventory of parking passes and bus tickets.
- Summarizes and balances annual Vehicle Decal Report.
- Distributes audit trails and source documents to sources once entered and balanced.
- Enters and posts journal vouchers and cash summaries.
- Maintains mortgage files associated with Property Tax accounts from each financial institution.
- Other batch computer input as required.
- Updates and maintains procedure manuals on a regular basis.
- Performs related work as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Business Administration - Accounting Certificate.
- Up to and including 6 months’ in a customer service retail or banking role, including experience with a computerized billing system.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to exercise tact and courtesy in exchange of information with other City employees, departments and the public.
- Well-developed communication, discretion and public relations skills.
- Ability to process and balance up to $ ½ million in collections daily.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in using computer programs, scanning equipment and other office equipment.
- Demonstrated high level of accuracy with math and currency.
- Ability to process a minimum of 150 till transactions daily.
- Proficient with calculator (minimum 100 keystrokes per minute on number pad).
- Ability to type a minimum 50 wpm.
- Ability to perform legible and accurate work.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Business Administration – Accounting.
- One year experience in a municipal setting.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- One year recent experience as a teller in a banking institution.
- Working knowledge of City and departmental regulations and procedures.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!