BYLAW COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Up to two (2) positions
Competition #: 62-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 7, 2019
External applicants – May 14, 2019
Rate of Pay: $36.77 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 11 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days and Hours vary
Reporting to the Manager, Protective Services, this position performs regulatory, clerical and inspection services in support of bylaws, regulations, and general Division policies and procedures.
Regulatory Bylaw Control
- Receives, processes, investigates complaints and enforces municipal bylaws, including but not limited to, Business License, Zoning, Sign, Nuisance, Noise, Subdivision and Development Servicing, Watering Restriction and Snow Removal.
- Answers telephone, written and in-person enquiries related to bylaw enforcement matters.
- Maintains contact with and liaises with City departments, and outside agencies.
- Coordinates, where possible, the resolution of complaints (Sign, Nuisance and other regulatory bylaws).
- Conducts investigations, compiles evidence, lays charges (summons) and attends court as required.
- Inputs data, prepares, records, and reports on issues relative to bylaw enforcement activities as requested.
- Acts as a City representative in the Municipal Ticket Information (MTI) bylaw enforcement or Bylaw Forum systems by writing and delivering ticket information.
- Prepares departmental correspondence for supervisor's or own signature.
Traffic and Parking Control
- Receives, investigates and co-ordinates the resolution of complaints, including but not limited to, City Parking and Traffic bylaws.
- Enforces the Parking Meter and Traffic bylaws; patrols parking areas both by foot and by motor vehicle and conducts general parking and traffic control; checks parking meters, chalks tires, issues parking violation tickets, tows vehicles, etc.
- Collects monies from parking meters, fine-o-meter boxes and ticketing machines; transports monies to the Bank, and ensures parking lot control mechanisms are supplied with parking permit tickets.
- Responds to complaints regarding Traffic violations in all areas of the City. Inspects commercial vehicles for valid Municipal Commercial Vehicle decals and issues tickets or warning notices as applicable.
- Repairs and maintains parking meters, meter housings, locks, parking lot control mechanisms and ticket spitter mechanisms which includes disassembling, lubricating, calibrating, repairing, rebuilding and maintaining a parts stock.
- Advises public of parking regulations in answer to their inquiries; advises public of other of other bylaw requirements.
- Maintains contact with and liaises with the City departments, and outside agencies.
- Impounds, issues warnings or bylaw violation notices to pedestrians, cyclists, and skateboarders in violation of the Traffic bylaw.
- Inputs, prepares, records, and reports on issues relative to parking & traffic enforcement activities as requested.
- Collects and inputs meter maintenance data.
- May act as a courier delivering City or GVSC deposits as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Complies with WCB regulations, identifies safety concerns and participates in corporate safety programs.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- 1 years’ experience in bylaw enforcement or a related field
- Current valid BC Class 5 driver’s license with a driver’s abstract acceptable to the City
- Level 1 Advanced Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills Certificate
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn City and Departmental bylaws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Ability to efficiently use automated systems, related software and general office equipment.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful and diplomatic manner where people may be agitated
- Ability to defuse agitated persons
- Ability to key 100 correct key strokes per minute
- Ability to prepare written reports
- Knowledge of the MTI system and provincial court proceedings
- Ability to exercise mature judgement in problem solving
- Physical ability to perform the work; ability to walk on even and uneven surfaces potentially during adverse climate conditions
- Ability to obtain a statutory approval appointment by City Council if required to enforce bylaws.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Ability to obtain and maintain an RCMP Enhanced Security Clearance.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Post-Secondary courses in Municipal administration or Justice Institute courses related to bylaw enforcement
- 2 years experience in bylaw enforcement or related fields
- Level 2 Advanced Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills Certificate or equivalent knowledge and experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
- Previous experience in the repair of parking meters and spitters.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!