BYLAW COMPLIANCE CLERK
Up to five (5) positions
Competition #: 133-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – December 24, 2020
External applicants – January 3, 2021
Rate of Pay: $29.25 per hour (as of January 1, 2021, as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement) Band: 4 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / varies
Reporting to the Manager, Protective Services, this position provides a variety of administrative services that support the Bylaw Compliance section.
- Reviews bylaw compliance information provided by Officers for conformity with established standards and enters the same into database applications following established protocols and procedures.
- Prepares form letters for Manager’s signature and ensures that requirements for file copies and attachments are met prior to mail out.
- Reviews parking, traffic (Bylaw Offence Notice), and MTI ticket information received, for conformity with established standards and procedures.
- Enters appeals, or screening officer decisions, into the automated tracking systems.
- Runs reports, prepares mail outs related to the ticketing systems, and ensures conformity with established procedures.
- Enters payments, prepares bank deposit and balances cash receipting system. Maintains float for cash receipting system.
- May act as reception for other Divisions as required.
- Prepares a variety of statistical reports and compiles information as requested.
- Inputs data into the appropriate system in accordance with established procedures; composes letters and correspondence as requested. Advises the Manager where there appear to have been data or data entry discrepancies between Finance, RCMP or other departments and the Bylaw section.
- Maintains and coordinates complaint and operational filing systems.
- Refers enforcement matters to the Manager, appropriate authority, and/or Bylaw or Assistant Bylaw Compliance Officers as required.
- Maintains and protects the confidentiality of certain records and information, exercising considerable public relations tact.
- Liaises with other City divisions, enforcement authorities, and other community organizations in referring complaints, providing information and assisting with the coordination of cooperative enforcement programs.
- Reviews local advertising mediums to assess compliance with relevant City bylaws and initiates enforcement action by other bylaw staff when required.
- Answers telephone, written, and in-person inquiries related to bylaw compliance in accordance with procedure and policy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of a recognized certificate program in office administration or bylaw enforcement plus a minimum of one year experience working in office administration.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to type 55 correct words per minute.
- Ability to key 100 key strokes per minute.
- Proficient using Microsoft Word & Excel and data base applications such as Tempest.
- Considerable diplomacy and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Skilled in de-escalating public interactions in a calm and empathetic manner.
- Ability to conduct detail oriented data entry and to check data for conformity to ensure compliance.
- Knowledge of the implementation and processing requirements of the various tracking systems.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated organization skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable criminal record check.
- Ability to obtain RCMP enhanced security clearance.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Level 1 Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills Course.
- Completion of courses in verbal de-escalation, crisis prevention, or non-violent confrontation management.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!