Competition #: 10-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 29, 2021
External applicants – February 5, 2021
Rate of Pay: $34.86 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 8 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / Varies
Reporting to the Manager, Procurement Services this position is responsible for the negotiation and procurement of equipment, materials, services, and maintenance, repair & operations (MRO) supplies to support the warehouse and operation’s requirements including; sourcing, soliciting & evaluation of bids, award of orders, expediting and resolution of related problems.
Stores Warehouse and Inventory:
Works with Storeskeeper to determine ordering & scheduling of materials for inventory stock:
- Recommends appropriate physical inventory levels, files, reports and records for the warehouse which includes ordering. Maintains accurate records, including account codes of various projects and jobs, and records information into inventory system.
- Works with Storeskeeper to ensure accurate inventory levels and completes the necessary inventory adjustments as required. Performs annual physical inventory count in preparation for fiscal year end. Reviews and posts monthly inventory transactions to the General Ledger and prepares inventory records for audit.
- Reconciles month end inventory reports as well as assists with year-end physical count reconciliation.
- Works with Storeskeeper to identify opportunities to improve inventory management through blanket orders, annual agreements, systems contracting; disposal of obsolete products or consignment inventory. Compiles, calculates and provides data entry for daily bulk gravel inventory & slips from staff & contractors.
- Negotiates prices, volume discounts and other terms and conditions to obtain the best value for City of Vernon purchases.
- Reviews, plans and prioritizes daily, weekly and monthly work assignments to meet the operational goals of the Division.
Procurement of Supplies, Services and Materials
Performs skilled purchasing work of a relatively complex nature under limited supervision of the Manager, Procurement Services:
- Procures equipment, materials and services for operating maintenance purchasing and inventory MRO stock as required to ensure maintenance service requirements are met and inventory levels are controlled.
- Procurement services includes the following:
- Reviews and evaluates incoming requests to ensure requests comply with existing policies and procedures and have adequate technical specification or scope of work.
- Prepares competitive bid documents for stock, operations, capital work projects and special order items.
- Performs vendor pre-qualification, researches availability, quality & price. Evaluates bids, provides spreadsheet with commercial recommendation and resolves technical concerns with the originator or appropriate bidder. Awards to the successful bidder and issues regrets to remainder.
- Selects vendors & negotiates all commercial terms of purchase order. Negotiates with supply sources to initiate orders or resolve disputes and claims.
- Expedites all orders including tracking shipments in transit to ensure materials are received by deadline.
- Evaluates vendor capabilities by meeting with vendors & suppliers to investigate & determine alternative supply sources for new product opportunities or seeking efficiency gains with respect to future transactions. Monitors vendor activities & market conditions in general.
- Works with Manager, Procurement Services & Operations staff with identifying Asset Investment Recovery opportunities & spearheads disposal projects.
- Reconciles invoices with inventory receiving to ensure charges are accurate in terms of receipt, coding, back orders.
- Purchases a diversified range of supplies and services for City divisions. Investigates and documents product standardization opportunities. Reviews packing slips, records back orders or short shipments, contacts suppliers to expedite orders and make necessary adjustments regarding replacements, incomplete orders, damaged supplies or unsatisfactory services.
- Compiles purchasing, inventory and financial information, including general ledger & purchase order reports.
- Maintains library and other purchasing material to support City personnel in seeking current information and pricing on products.
- Answers telephone/website inquiries, provides information, and interacts effectively with City staff, suppliers and the general public.
- Monitors alarm system reports for the Central Stores Warehouse and investigates any discrepancies.
- This position is required to provide Storeskeeper relief during vacation or absence.
- Performs related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of SCMA Supply Management Training (SMT), APICS Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP), or equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a Buyer.
- Experience in competitive bidding and contract administration.
- Solid understanding of purchasing protocol and legal responsibilities and liabilities.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence – Class 5
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough purchasing/inventory systems & procedures knowledge acquired through experience and in computerized purchasing & ongoing educational credits.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management, staff suppliers and the general public both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of purchasing techniques, procedures, research methods warehouse and inventory control systems.
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Strong organizational/interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, be adaptable, versatile, exercise discretion and initiative, independent judgment, make sound decisions and work effectively with constant interruptions under pressure.
- Proficient use of computers including high level efficiency in Word, Excel, and web-based software, including purchasing software. Proficient in keyboarding and data entry is essential with the ability to produce neat and accurate work.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- National Education Consulting Inc. (NECI) Level 100, 200 or 300.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with municipal purchasing and contracts.
- Practicing Junior to intermediate Buyer responsibilities, preferably in a public setting.
- Previous experience in operational and capital procurement.
- Forklift Operator Ticket.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certification.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!