ARENA FACILITY ATTENDANT I
Competition #: 09-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 25, 2019
External applicants – February 1, 2019
Rate of Pay: $27.57 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 4 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary, 0 to 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Director, Recreation Services, this position is responsible for the day to day operation and maintenance of ice arenas. This job involves shift work including evenings and weekends. Assignments are received from a supervisor who checks the workmanship for conformance with recognized practices and procedures in arena operations.
- Performs normal arena facility janitorial and maintenance tasks in and around the arena facilities.
- Monitors and logs gauge readings for the refrigeration plant; monitors and logs ice depths; adjusts ice depths to maintain optimum thickness.
- Operates and maintains ice resurfacing equipment; monitors and logs service on the equipment; changes blades; charges batteries; re-fills Liquid Natural Gas and changes propane bottles; drains chiller.
- Meets and deals effectively with the public in response to their needs for dressing rooms, ice cleanings, and ice usage.
- Performs minor building maintenance work such as painting, air filter changes, lamp replacements, net repairs and other repair work around the arenas.
- Enforces policies with respect to ice usage, and safety regulations for all users of the arenas.
- Assists with set-up and take down of equipment during special events.
- Maintains accurate log books for snow clearing, accident reporting, ice cleaning and maintenance tasks.
- Providing guidance to ice patrol and building service workers may be required.
- Maintains harmonious working relationships with other staff, elected officials, members of the business community and the general public.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 education.
- A current B.C. Driver's Licence.
- Refrigeration Safety Awareness (RSA) Certificate.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Able to deal tactfully with the public and possess good listening and communication skills.
- Able to physically perform manual work.
- Able to sustain the physical demands of the position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable Work Safe BC and the City of Vernon Occupational Health & Safety policy.
- Be mechanically inclined and be able to deal effectively and efficiently with the public.
- Must be able to efficiently operate and service light equipment.
- Considerable knowledge in the operation and maintenance of ice making equipment and machinery.
- Good understanding of ice sports including hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating.
- Ability to perform janitorial tasks and minor building maintenance work.
- Able to provide an acceptable criminal record check.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!