ARENA FACILITY ATTENDANT I
Up to four (4) positions
Competition #: 91-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – August 16, 2019
External applicants – August 23, 2019
Rate of Pay: $27.57 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 4 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days and hours vary
Reporting to the Manager, Arena Operations, this position is responsible for the day to day operation, maintenance, and cleaning of ice arenas, and for providing excellent customer service to various facility user groups.
- Performs daily and scheduled facility janitorial and maintenance tasks in and around the arenas as identified on task lists.
- Monitors the refrigeration plant including; accurately recording readings in log books, checking and logging ice depths, and draining the chiller as needed.
- Operates and maintains ice resurfacing equipment; adjusts ice depths to maintain optimum thickness, monitors and logs service on the equipment, and charges batteries and changes blades and propane bottles.
- Provides exceptional customer service to the public and user groups through effective communication and a willingness to assist in response to requests for dressing rooms, ice cleanings, and ice usage.
- Performs a variety of minor building maintenance and handyman work such as dry wall patching and painting, air filter changes, lamp replacements, minor sink and toilet repairs, snow removal, and landscape maintenance around the arenas.
- Enforces policies with respect to ice usage and safety regulations for all users of the arenas.
- Provides access to multi-purpose rooms and assists with set-up and take down of equipment during special events and on a daily basis as required.
- Maintains accurate log books for snow clearing, accident reporting, ice cleaning and maintenance tasks.
- Provides guidance to Ice Patrol, Ice Monitors, Conversion Workers, and Building Service Workers as required.
- Effectively communicates and exchanges information with co-workers both verbally, and in writing through recording and sharing in the log books.
- May be required to open and/or close the arenas, ensuring facility procedures are followed and adhered to.
- Maintains harmonious working relationships with other staff, elected officials, members of the business community, and the general public.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 education.
- Current B.C. Driver's Licence.
- Refrigeration Safety Awareness (RSA) Certificate.
- Minimal experience in Recreation, Arenas, or other related environment, and training is provided.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Possesses excellent customer relations skills, such as good listening and effective communication skills.
- Effectively resolves minor problems such as cleaning priorities, and public/user group issues.
- Ability to perform manual work such as cleaning, setting up and taking down rental and event equipment, and sustaining the physical demands of the position.
- Safety conscious with a demonstrated knowledge of applicable WorkSafe BC legislation, Technical Safety BC, and the City of Vernon Occupational Health & Safety policy.
- Mechanically inclined and able to efficiently operate and service light equipment such as a small tractor, floor scrubber, and snow blower.
- Demonstrated handyman skills in minor building maintenance work.
- Proficient knowledge of janitorial equipment and procedures.
- Shift work will be required including working evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Able to obtain and maintain an acceptable criminal record check.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Refrigeration Operators Certificate (formerly Fifth Class Power Engineer Certificate with Refrigeration Endorsement).
- Lift Truck Operator Certificate (formerly Fork Lift Operator Certificate).
- Considerable knowledge in the operation and maintenance of ice making equipment and machinery.
- Good understanding of ice sports including hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!