APPROVING OFFICER/SUBDIVISION CONTROL
Competition #: 91-COV-21
Closing Date: July 27, 2021
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year-round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager, Current Planning, this position provides advanced technical review, coordination and processing of subdivisions and development applications, and serves as the Approving Officer.
- Processes and tracks progress of all aspects of subdivision applications, from pre-application meetings to referrals, drafting PLRs, securities, registration and file completion.
- Resolves development conflicts between developers, City departments and other stakeholders, related to subdivision and development applications.
- Develops and maintains good external contacts with contractors, government regulatory agencies and utilities on development-related matters.
- Initiates, reviews and signs legal documents related to subdivision for registration including Restrictive Covenants, Statutory Rights-of-Way, Easements and Development Agreements.
- Responds to inquiries related to planning, zoning, subdivisions and design control bylaws and associated policies and procedures. Tracks Development Cost Charge credits.
- Responsible for the assignment of road names and property addresses.
- Performs field inspections for compliance with bylaws and approved development plans.
- Prepares Council reports and presentations, as required.
- Identifies amendments to City bylaws and policies, including the Zoning Bylaw and Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw to ensure they remain up to date and applicable.
- Investigates, researches, and prepares reports on technical issues.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, techniques and objectives of urban planning evidenced by completion of a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field.
- Eligible for membership in PIBC.
- Minimum eight years of combined experience in subdivision design, approval, assessment and/or current planning.
- B.C. Driver's Licence, Class 5.
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of standard planning, building and subdivision procedures and methods, land use plans, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of municipal and provincial regulations including Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Strata Property Act and Community Charter relative to development.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks with deadlines.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Association with and/or knowledge of Master Municipal Construction Document, Transportation Association of Canada, and other technical infrastructure, land or legislative associations is an asset.
- Experience with Tempest and mapping software would be considered an asset.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!