Effective immediately to Jan 31, 2021. Subject to the return of the incumbent
Competition #: 113-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – October 30, 2020
External applicants – November 6, 2020
Rate of Pay: $31.44 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 6 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary. 16 hours per week.
Reporting to the Manager of Roads, Drainage & Airport, this position assists the Airport Supervisor with the general operation and maintenance of the Airport as directed.
- Assists the Airport Supervisor with inspections and maintenance on all facilities relating to the airport including but not limited to fuel, beacons, lighting, taxiways, runways, ramps, aprons and airport terminal building.
- Communicates effectively and courteously with airport related personnel, contractors and members of the public.
- Performs sweeping, snow clearing and removal as required to meet Transport Canada standards.
- Provides vegetation control, grass trimming and weed maintenance as required to maintain the airport in good condition as directed.
- Provides Wildlife Control as required.
- Communicates with aircraft using a VHF radio.
- Receives, handles and dispenses aviation fuel.
- Uses sound judgement in performance of duties consistent with Transport Canada Regulations, the Vernon Regional Airport Safety Management System and other airport policies, procedures and functions.
- Participates in all required Safety Management System training.
- Will be required to work weekends as part of a regular shift and may be required to work overtime.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- 1 to 2 years previous experience relating to airside airport maintenance.
- Previous experience driving vehicles/equipment within the active area of a runway.
- Qualified in aircraft refuelling.
- Valid BC Drivers License Class 5 with air endorsement.
- Valid RROC (Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Certificate).
- Valid AVOP (Airside Vehicle Operators Permit).
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong PC/technology skills and aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of the CAR’s and the various Transport Canada Standards and Regulations.
- Knowledge of all relevant federal and provincial legislation including WorkSafe BC Regulations.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer services skills.
- Commitment and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- WAMSCR (Winter Aircraft Movement Surface Condition Reporting).
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!