ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION COORDINATOR
Job description under review
Competition #: 67-COV-22
Closing Date: Internal applicants – April 22, 2022
External applicants – April 29, 2022
Rate of Pay: $45.48 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 15 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week. May include evening and weekend work.
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you. The City of Vernon offers a competitive compensation package, including enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation, this position is responsible for advancing the City’s transportation goals and requirements with respect to active transportation, transit, and transportation technology.
- Collaborates with neighbouring, regional, provincial, and federal governments by encouraging alternatives to single-occupant vehicles through the use of a wide range of policies, programs, services, and products that influence why, when, where, and how people travel to make travel behaviours more sustainable.
- Reviews, interprets, and evaluates related local, provincial and national development of policies, procedures, and departmental budgets relating to planning, delivery and working practices.
- Engages workplaces and schools in Vernon to develop and implement travel demand management measures (e.g. commuting surveys, education, supporting infrastructure and policies).
- Undertakes the planning, advertising, coordination, and delivery of outreach campaigns to encourage alternatives to single occupant vehicles through events like the annual Commuter Challenge, GoByBike Week(s), Car Free Day and International Walk to School Week and other initiatives.
- Develops and maintains good external contacts with public and private organizations on related matters nationally, provincially, regionally and locally.
- Meets with internal and external stakeholders, such as developers, local businesses, managers, staff and the general public, to discuss related projects and provides direction and recommendations in accordance with City standards.
- Assesses curbside allocation of road space for parking, loading, accessible parking, shared mobility, and other uses, and proposes appropriate reallocation and fee structures.
- Undertakes the planning and delivery of related communications and public participation.
- Assists City staff in preparing the capital plan to meet Council and City directives.
- Actively researches, submits and manages applications for transportation related grants and funding mechanisms.
- Writes related documents and reports and presents to Council as required.
- Reviews and provides related comments on development applications and engineering design drawings for compliance with City plans, standards and bylaws.
- Coordinates projects, initiatives, studies and reports with other City staff.
- Writes, designs, modifies and enhances various documents (including web pages, maps, and educational, safety, and promotional materials) using graphic, desktop publishing, spreadsheet and other software applications.
- Speaks to the media concerning related issues in Vernon.
- Prepares project proposals and reports, updates work plans and monitors program expenses.
- Provides coverage for road usage permits, access permits, responding to customer calls / inquiries / complaints, service requests, data collection, capital projects, and other related tasks.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Environmental Planning, Planning, Engineering, Traffic/Transportation, or equivalent.
- 5 years related experience.
- Experience working collaboratively to deliver on-the ground programs preferably within a municipal setting.
- B.C. Driver's Licence, Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of transportation demand management, trip reduction and sustainable transportation issues.
- Knowledge of community-based social marketing principles and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking and giving presentations.
- Practical experience in public education, community relations or non-profit program implementation.
- Demonstrated commitment to the goals of sustainability.
- Excellent communication, coordination, interpersonal and organizational skills at a professional level.
- Demonstrated budget and project management skills.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and maintain focus in a busy work environment.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate work plans and performance measures.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill with the latest version of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher or other applicable software programs.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Association with and/or knowledge of the Institute of Transportation Engineers, Transportation Association of Canada and other related associations is an asset.
- Emergency Operations Centre training through the Justice Institute of British Columbia.
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!