ACTING MANAGER, ROADS, DRAINAGE AND AIRPORT
Effective immediately. Subject to return of the incumbent
Competition #: 68-COV-20
Closing Date: June 30, 2020
Reporting to the Director, Operations this position is responsible for the delivery of all Roads, Drainage and Airport related services including paved and unpaved street systems, boulevard maintenance, downtown maintenance, sidewalks, urban drainage, street cleaning and flushing, snow and ice control, weed control, street lighting, traffic control, and solid waste collection.
- Responsible for all operational and maintenance activities relating to the paved and unpaved street system, boulevard maintenance, downtown maintenance, sidewalks, urban drainage, street cleaning and flushing, snow and ice control, weed control, street lighting, traffic control, and solid waste collection.
- Supervises, organizes, directs, performs, or otherwise carries out, all Airport business within the limits of the approved budget and City Policy.
- Promotes a safe work environment consistent with City Policy and Occupational Health and Safety regulation, policies, guidelines, and standards.
- Maintains an effective departmental safety program, which adheres to all WCB regulations, including safety rules and procedures, safety orientation and training, identification/correction of workplace hazards, accident/incident investigation, and regular meetings.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive work plan to ensure that risk management inspections are completed and problems addressed as they relate to Roads, Drainage, and Airport.
- Maintains liaison with other Provincial and Municipal government departments, utilities, and other major service providers to ensure coordination, cooperation, and efficiency in development and implementation of service initiatives.
- Attends City Council meetings, public hearings, utilities and other regional governance public meetings as a resource and/or representative of the City as required.
- Prepares and administers the provisional, annual and capital budgets for the Roads, Drainage and Airport Department and makes recommendations to the Director.
- Coordinates development and maintenance of benchmarking measures and systems to ensure effective measurement of performance and service delivery by the Department.
- Ensures the maximization of the potential of the City’s Geographic Information System as an information and data resource for effective service delivery.
- Ensures effective response process to citizen and business inquiries and complaints.
- Undertakes periodic reviews of the corporate structure of the department and identifies adjustments required to meet the change in service requirements in consultation with the Director.
- Responsible for recruiting, appointing, promoting, directing, monitoring performance, and exercising corrective action, in consultation with the Director.
- Works within the CUPE Collective Agreement as it relates to the Roads, Drainage and Airport Section and advises the Director when problems occur.
- Manages the performance management process, working with each employee to maximize their personal success and the value of their contribution to the success of their fellow employees and the organization.
- Recommends annual training and staff development program and ensures that staff participates in training and development opportunities to meet City objectives and career goals.
- Develops and maintains succession plans for the department to ensure staff development, placement opportunities, and continuity in consultation with the Director.
- Reviews, develops, and recommends new and revised sectional procedures to respond to changing needs and/or to achieve improvements, efficiencies, cost savings and revenue generation.
- Responsible for the in-house construction of the Capital Program as it relates to the Roads, Drainage and Airport department, including roads, sidewalks, streetlights, traffic lights and other items as required.
- Responsible for contract management and procurement of contracts relating to Roads, Drainage and Airport.
- Provides cost estimates and material quotations for operational and capital projects relating to the Roads, Drainage and Airport.
- Assists the Fleet Manager in the procurement of new and replacement City equipment.
- Conducts Airport business on behalf of the City consistent with Council goals and objectives, Transport Canada Regulations and all other applicable federal and provincial legislation.
- Implements the Vernon Regional Airport Safety Management System within his/her area of responsibility.
- Responsible for contract negotiation, administration and supervision of contracts for the Airport.
- Assists with the preparation grant applications for funding Airport related projects; communicates and works with senior government officials in pursuing alternative funding options.
- Provides information and cooperates fully in the annual audit of the Airport’s financial records.
- May assume the role of General Manager during vacations and other absences.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services as required. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or other technical diploma in a related field supplemented by 5 years related experience.
- Courses in business administration, project management, a variety of computer applications and subdivision inspection.
- 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible management/supervisory experience including extensive knowledge of the aviation industry.
- Prior experience working within municipal government.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of computers including standard office and related software.
- Proficiency in the use of general office equipment Including strong PC/technology skills and aptitude
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction and maintenance practises relating to paved street systems, unpaved street systems, boulevard maintenance, downtown maintenance, sidewalks, urban drainage, street cleaning and flushing, snow and ice control, weed control, street lighting, traffic control, solid waste collection, and all materials, tools and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of the above.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Ability to make accurate notes, sketches and observation reports.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in problem solving.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
- Extensive knowledge of Department of Transport Regulations.
- Knowledge of all relevant federal and provincial legislation including Workers Compensation Board British Columbia Regulations.
- Demonstrated contract management skills.
- Demonstrated project management abilities.
- Demonstrated ability with capital and operating budget preparation (short and long term).
- Commitment and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!