ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK I
Effective Immediately to June 28, 2024, subject to return of Incumbent.
Competition #: 202-COV-23
Closing Date: Internal applicants – November 28, 2023
External applicants – December 5, 2023
Rate of Pay: $31.90 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 5 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / minimum 20 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, this position assists with ensuring accurate and timely processing of invoices for all departments. This position responds to vendor inquiries relating to invoiced goods or services and performs clerical and computer work which requires a high level of accuracy.
- Enters accounts payable invoices and source documents into the computerized accounting system and ensures batches are accurate and balanced.
- Assists with the timely distribution of invoices to appropriate departments for payment approval and coding.
- Ensures all appropriate approval authorities have been met and all appropriate back up is provided according to policy prior to input of invoice for payment.
- Updates vendor master records including changes, additions and electronic funds transfer banking information.
- Responds to queries from City departments regarding accounts payable policy and procedures.
- Assists with the distribution and receipt of monthly purchase card statements and processing into computerized accounting system.
- Reviews and reconciles vendor statements for accuracy and discrepancies and advises Accounts Payable Clerk II when follow up is required.
- Updates and maintains procedure manuals on a regular basis.
- This position will provide backup to other Finance staff as required.
- Performs related work as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Business Administration – Accounting certificate.
- Two years’ experience with Accounts Payable within a computerized accounting system.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to understand, interpret, operationalize and enforce City of Vernon policies and procedures.
- Proficient with calculator (Minimum 100 key strokes per minute on number pad)
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet, databases and specialized accounting software.
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact in exchange of information with other City employees, the public and suppliers.
- Effective organization, time management and multi-tasking skills to prioritize and complete work in an environment with high volume, which paying close attention to detail.
- Ability to produce neat and accurate work.
- Ability to withstand stress and pressure created by a high volume, deadline driven environment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Business Administration Diploma – Accounting.
- 2 years’ experience in a municipal setting.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!