ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK
Competition #: 13-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 29, 2020
External applicants – February 5, 2020
Rate of Pay: $30.06 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 5 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, this position performs clerical work such as batching and processing accounts payable invoices, data entry of accounts payable invoices, analysis of vendor statements and scanning and filing of documents within established guidelines.
- Receives invoices and ensures proper approval is received prior to payment.
- Ensures that all goods and services in relation to computerized purchase requisitions are received by the initiator prior to payment of invoices.
- Batches and codes invoices for scanning and data entry.
- Enters accounts payable source documents into the computerized accounting system and ensures batch is accurate and balanced.
- Scans source documents into electronic media.
- Prepares requests for billing recoveries as required.
- Prepares computer cheques and files for electronic funds transfers for payment of invoices on a regular basis.
- Enters new vendors and updates vendor records as required.
- Refers problems with computerized accounting system to Accounting Clerk.
- Mails or distributes cheques and electronic payment advices.
- Files batches of source documents.
- Reviews and reconciles vendor statements for accuracy and discrepancies and follows up until discrepancy is resolved
- Assists with maintaining cemetery records, selling cemetery plots and permits, liaising with funeral homes and cemetery operator for timing of burials and memorial installations in the absence of the Accounting Clerk.
- Updates and maintains procedure manuals on a regular basis.
- Performs related work as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Completion of one year Business Administration – Accounting Certificate.
- Minimum one year experience with a computerized accounting system.
- Experience in a multi-divisional organization.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
- Proficient with calculator and scanning equipment
- Working knowledge of City and departmental regulations, procedures and City purchasing policy.
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact in exchange of information with other City employees, the public and suppliers.
- Ability to maintain visual attention and concentration.
- Ability to produce neat and accurate work.
- Ability to use related computer applications such as iCity, Tempest, OUTLOOK, WORD and EXCEL.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Completion of a 2 year diploma in Business Administration – Accounting.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- 2 years’ experience in a municipal setting.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!