ACCOUNTING CLERK II
Competition #: 12-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 29, 2020
External applicants – February 5, 2020
Rate of Pay: $32.79 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 7 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, this position is responsible for maintenance of the fixed assets records for the City of Vernon in conformance with PSAB Standards as well as performing Accounts Payable functions including controlling and processing of accounts payable invoices, preparing various analyses of accounts or expenditures and processing of Cemetery records and maps.
- Receives contract invoices related to fixed asset purchases and ensures proper approval is received prior to payment.
- Coordinates the distribution and receipt of monthly purchasing card statements and processes them in computerized accounting system.
- Batches and codes other invoices as assigned by Manager, Financial Planning & Reporting for scanning and data entry.
- Assumes the Accounts Payable Clerk functions during absences and leaves.
- Enters accounts payable source documents into the computerized accounting system and ensures batch is accurate and balanced.
- Reviews audit trails for accuracy.
- Reconciles and closes sub-ledger to general ledger control accounts for Accounts Payable and Cemetery on a monthly basis.
- Tests computerized accounting system modules Accounts Payable and Cemetery as required for updates to software and other process changes as required.
- Maintains Cemetery records, sells cemetery plots and permits per the Cemetery Bylaw; liaises with funeral homes and cemetery operator for timing of burials, memorial installations and other details as required.
- Prepares requests for billing recoveries as required.
- Prepares account reconciliations and analysis to various general ledger accounts, including grant submissions, as required.
- Maintains asset register for annual calculation of amortization.
- Maintains fixed asset records including current period additions and disposals.
- Assists with the duties of the Accounts Payable Clerk when absent.
- Updates and maintains procedure manuals on a regular basis.
- Performs other related work as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Completion of a two year diploma in Business Administration – Accounting.
- Experience in a multi-divisional organization.
- Experience maintaining inventory or fixed asset records.
- Minimum one year experience with a computerized accounting system.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
- Proficient with calculator and scanning equipment.
- Working knowledge of City and departmental regulations, procedures and City purchasing policy.
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact in exchange of information with other City employees, the public and suppliers.
- Ability to maintain visual attention and concentration.
- Ability to produce neat and accurate work.
- Ability to use related computer applications such as iCity, Tempest, OUTLOOK, WORD.
- Proficient abilities and experience using spreadsheet software EXCEL.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Completion of 3 years towards a BBA (Bachelors of Business Administration) in Accounting.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- 2 years’ experience in a municipal setting.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!