Visit the Regional District of North Okanagan - Greater Vernon Water website for up-to-date information, including emergency lawn and garden regulations, water quality and conservation information, troubleshooting tips and more.

Water Reclamation & Spray Irrigation

Utilities Division

The Utilities Division is responsible for all underground construction of water, sanitary sewer, and storm mains and services on the public right of way.

Sanitary Sewer Service Connection Policy
It is the responsibility of the property owner to clear blockages in a lateral sanitary sewer service from the dwelling to the sanitary service main, which includes the section of line located on City property.


1. If a call is received that the dwelling is flooding with foreign sewage, the Operations Department shall respond immediately to clear the sanitary sewer main.

2. If a call is received that the service line is blocked, the property owner is advised to contact a plumber.

3. If the property owner requests City crews to respond, the property owner is advised that unless the service line on City property is found to have failed, he shall pay all costs of City staff and equipment, including overtime costs as per the Collective Agreement, and sign a Request Form prior to the City proceeding. City crews shall then respond.

4. The City may inspect the lateral service using a video camera. If the lateral service camera confirms there is no structural problem in the lateral service line from the property to the main, the property owner shall be invoiced for costs of staff and equipment. If this section of service line is found to have failed, then the City will repair the service line. Structural problems would involve a line which has collapsed, separated, has reverse grade, or has roots entering it.

This policy clarifies responsibilities for sanitary sewer service maintenance which saves the City unnecessary maintenance and administrative costs and reduces the risk to the City for insurance claims.

Application for Hydrant Use (PDF Form)
This form is editable and can be filled out within Adobe Acrobat Reader, then printed.

Mail to the address below along with a cheque payable to the City of Vernon, amount $120.00, or drop off the application with a $120.00 cheque to the Operations Centre, 1900 48 Avenue, between the hours of 7:30 A.M. and 4:00 P.M.

Waterworks Superintendent
1900 - 48 Ave
Vernon, B.C. V1T 8Y7
Fax: 250-545-3345
Phone: 250-54-WORKS (549-6757)
Contact Info
Phone: 250-54-WORKS (549-6757)


RDNO Greater Vernon Water Coldstream City of Vernon, BC City of Vernon, BC