HR administers both Job Evaluation Plans at the City which provide a pay structure that is non-discriminatory in nature. Positions are measured for internal relevance and are also reviewed with the external market periodically.
- Administer the City’s salary plans
- Create new job descriptions in conjunction with Division Managers
- Revise current job descriptions in accordance with appropriate guidelines
- Chair Exempt Peer Review Committee and CUPE Joint Job Evaluation Committee
- Participate in provincial salary reviews
- Reply to all external information requests regarding position review
- Conduct salary research
HR is responsible for administrative related to employees including
- Retention of employee records
- Development of organizational policies for employees
- Administration of the Secretary Relief Pool
- Coordination of Staff Awards/Rewards
From hire through termination, HR is responsible for providing labour relations assistance and for liaising with legal counsel as required.
- Establish and maintain a positive and respectful union/management relationship
- Collective bargaining
- Develop and maintain a contingency plan
- Participate on Joint Labour Management Committees
- Collective Agreement interpretation and application
- Grievance management
- Workplace conflict resolution
Occupational Health & Safety
This function is responsible for providing support and advice to all levels of the organization and for ensuring workplace compliance with provincial safety legislation.
- Ensure compliance with WorkSafe BC Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
- Recommend and administer the City’s Safety Management System
- Coordinate and provide support and advice to the City’s Safety Committees
- Conduct worksite safety inspections
- Coordinate and/or deliver safety training
- Provide support and advice to the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Manages employee injury claims
- Administer the Modified Return to Work program
New Employee Orientation
HR develops and maintains an Orientation Program that facilitates the acquaintance of new employees to the philosophy, culture and policies of the organization including Code of Conduct, Whistle Blower and Harassment policies.
Payroll, Benefits & Pension
The City’s Direct and Indirect pay are managed and administered through this Department.
- Process bi-weekly pay
- Meet statutory reporting and remittance obligations related to employee pay
- Remit benefit premium payments to various carriers and services providers (eg) medical, dental, extended health, life insurance, disability
- Provide employees with information on benefits and the Municipal Pension Plan
- Liaise with benefits and pension service providers
- Monitor sick leave, vacation and special leave
Performance Management isn’t just about conducting annual performance reviews. Performance should be acknowledged and managed on an ongoing basis. Providing feedback to employees and the tools for development assists the employee, the Division and the City in meeting strategic goals and objectives.
Recruitment & Retention
Our aim is to attract and retain the best staff at all levels within the Management/Exempt, CUPE, IAFF, Excluded and Student employee groups.
- Post & Advertise new or vacant positions
- Conduct Testing (eg) Key Stroke, Typing, Word, Excel, Lifeguard Wet Test, Psychometrics
- Develop Interview Questions
- Arrange and conduct pre-interviews/Interviews
- Conduct Reference checks
- Detailed selection follow-up (Criminal Record Check, Drivers Abstract, Security Clearance, Certifications, Photo ID)
- Review Seniority (internal hires)
- Prepare Employment Offers
Strategic Analysis & Planning
HR works with the organization to develop policies, procedures and systems for hiring, development and utilization of “human resources” that support the organization’s future goals and objectives.
- Policy development
- Staffing and Succession Plan development
- Training Plan development
- Compensation Plan development and maintenance
- Evaluate and recommend competitive benefit program alternatives
This function is currently being researched and developed in order to assist Division managers in creating established succession plans that support stable service delivery to internal and external customers during employee transitions.
Training & Development
The City has a vested interest in enhancing current skills and providing training and development to meet forecasted needs.
- Coordinate City-wide training
- Coordinate Lunch & Learns
- Coordinate Exempt/Management Labour Relations training
- Targeted training as requested