Applying for a Position
All external postings are posted on www.vernon.ca/employment opportunities. We are currently in the process of implementing our new on-line recruitment system. Thank you for following the method of application identified with each job posting.
Cooperative Education Student Hiring
The City of Vernon recognizes the advantages of assisting co-op students in obtaining practical work experience as part of a well rounded educational program. To date, co-op students have been hired in the City’s Water and Water Reclamation/Treatment departments. We encourage participation from other City Departments as funding permits and where feasible.
Co-op job postings will be advertised during the months of February and March each year on the City’s website, www.vernon.ca/Employment Opportunities, and at various post-secondary institutions that offer Co-operative Education Placement Programs.
Students must provide verification from a participating post-secondary institution that they are currently registered and actively participating in a recognized Co-operative Education program. Detailed information is included in the job posting.
Criminal Record Check
Some positions at the City require a CRC. This requirement will be identified in the job posting and must be completed by your local police service. At the time of application for a CRC, you may find that a Vulnerable Sector Check is required. This generally occurs where the incumbent is expected to interact with vulnerable members of society including, but not limited to, children, the elderly and persons with disabilities. For further information please visit the RCMP CRC website.
Summer Student Opportunities
Available 2013 Summer Student Opportunities will be posted on our Employment Opportunities page during the months of February and March 2013.
Candidates are eligible for summer student employment if they:
- Are currently enrolled and returning to post secondary school.
- Hold a minimum Class “7 Novice (N)” B.C. Driver’s License.
- Are a “permanent resident” within the Greater Vernon Area (Greater Vernon Area to be defined to be Coldstream and the electoral areas B and C; does not include Spallumcheen, Lumby, Armstrong or Lake Country). Candidates may attend school in another location, but they must have lived within the Greater Vernon Area of at least one year prior to attending school.
- Have not worked the maximum allowable 3 summer work terms.
Instructions on how to apply for summer student employment opportunities will be noted on the job postings.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What qualifications does the City look for when hiring?
Each position requires a unique set of qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. At the time of application, please review the qualifications for the position.
- How do I ensure my application stands out among others in a job competition?
- Follow application instructions as outlined in the job posting.
- Address your cover letter to “To Whom it May Concern” as selection panel members differ for each competition.
- Highlight the qualifications you possess that relate to the position for which you are applying.
- Include dates, positions held and company names.
- List most recent employment first.
- Be concise, specific and accurate and ensure that your resume is error free.
- Provide current contact information.
- Be prepared to provide the names and current contact information of three references.
- Why doesn’t the City acknowledge receipt of my application?
Due to heavy volume, we currently contact only those applicants who are shortlisted. Future plans include implementation of an electronic recruitment system that will automatically acknowledge receipt of applications. Stay tuned!
- Do you keep my application on file?
You are required to submit an application for each position for which you are interested. Please refer to our website at www.vernon.ca for a complete listing of current, available positions.