Date: Thursday June 25
Time: 1pm - 3pm
Venue: The Schubert Centre,
3505 30th Ave, Vernon
The Vernon Community Policing Office (CPO) is the flagship operation of the Safe Communities Unit. Opening its doors in November 1999 the volunteer staffed storefront houses information on over 50 crime reduction/prevention programs and initiatives and also offers a broad spectrum of information around community based programs, projects and initiatives. The CPO further houses the Restorative Justice Society - North Okanagan.
- Rachael Zubick, Coordinator Vernon Community Policing Office
- Margaret Clark, Executive Director Restorative Justice Society – North Okanagan
Volunteers also participate in community/school based bike rodeos, Unit workshops and a wide variety of Community events such as:
Staffed by volunteers, under the direction of the Community Policing Office Coordinator, the CPO allows for community members to initiate non or low priority reports to the RCMP, refers clients to available resources, services and programs within the community, provides information regarding current crime reduction/prevention programs and initiatives which empower individuals and neighbourhoods to feel and be safe.
|Through the CPO, community members are able to access core Safe Communities Unit programs/Information such as:
- Ski Watch
- Scooter Safety Workshop
- Operation ID
- Sunshine Festival
- Frauds Cons & Scams workshops
- Wendy’s Dream Lift
- Halloween at the Village Green
- Winter Carnival Parade
- Wings & Wheels
- YAA Fest
- Fall Ball
- Pedestrian Safety
- International Car Free Day
- FASD Day
- Bike To Work Week
Arrangements for residential or business security audits using the principles of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED), workshops on personal, home, vehicle and community safety, internet safety, crystal meth awareness and a broad range of age and developmentally appropriate workshops can be made through the CPO. Information on bullying, drug awareness, cyber bullying, bike safety and much more is also available through the Community Policing Office.
The Community Policing Office Coordinator is responsible for the day to day operations and staffing of the CPO as well as program development and implementation to address current crime trends and community needs. The Coordinator provides community outreach in the form of a wide variety of community relevant workshops centered on providing the tools to feel and be safe. Such workshops include (but are not limited to):
- Dealing with Hostile Clients/Persons
- Workplace Safety
- Personal Safety (all ages)
- Keeping our Children Safe - Toddler Safety
- Safe Disposal of Needles
- Adult / Youth Internet Safety
- Tagging & Unwanted Graffiti
- Hug a Tree and Survive
- Stay Alert Stay Safe - Child Safety
- Residential/Business Security Audits
- Crystal Meth Awareness
- Home/Office Security
- Bike Safety
|All workshops are designed to address the unique needs, development and age of the audience.
During the summer, the Coordinator is responsible for hiring, training and supervision of the Vernon Safety Ambassadors. The Safety Ambassadors are actively engaged as eyes and ears for the RCMP, ambassadors for the City of Vernon, provide community outreach programs, liaise with the disenfranchised of the community as well as provide a uniformed presence in the Greater Vernon area at a time when the population and tourism increases significantly.
The Coordinator is actively involved in a variety of community initiatives most aimed at manageable solutions to the root causes of crime under the umbrella of
Crime Prevention Through Social Development, such as:
- Partners in Action.
- The Centreville Neighbourhood Council
- Harm Reduction Strategy Evaluation Team
- Homelessness Strategy Evaluation Team
- Camp Okanagan Outreach Liaison Team (COOL Team)
- Restorative Justice Advisory Council
- North Okanagan Poverty Outreach Team (NOPOT)
- Supporting Sex Workers Action Team
- Children in Care Committee
- Community Volunteer Coordinators Network
- Vernon Emergency Operation Centre
- The Municipal School Transportation Plan (MSTP)
Phone # 250-550-7840
2900 32 Ave.