Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. When is my Garbage / Recycling picked up?
Please view our Garbage Collection & Refuse Recycling pages for more information including downloadable pick-up schedules and information.

2. What are the hours for City Hall?
8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday. City Hall is closed on statutory holidays.

3. What are the phone numbers for the City of Vernon and other local governments/agencies?

4. When are City Utility bills due?
View City Utitilities for more information.

5. When are Property Taxes due?
Property taxes cover the fiscal year - January 1 to December 31 - and are due the first business day in July. Under the Local Government Act, the municipality must charge a 10% penalty on late taxes. The City of Vernon charges the 10% penalty immediately after the July due date. View Property Taxation for more information.

6. Can I pay my City bills with a credit card?
Sorry, only payment by cheque, Interac or cash is accepted.

7. Can I pay my City bills at my bank or through my bank machine?
Yes, please contact your financial institution for more information.

8. Can I make monthly payments on my property taxes
Yes, please contact the Finance Division or ask your financial institution or lender to collect property taxes as part of your mortgage.

9. Who is the Mayor?
View City Council for more information.

10. Who are the Councillors?
Juliette Cunningham, Bob Spiers,Catherine Lord,Brian Quiring,Scott Anderson, Dalvir Nahal . View City Councillors for more information.

11. Are there any employment opportunities?
Please check our Job Openings online or call 545-1361 and ask for Human Resources.

12. When are Watering Restrictions in effect?
Watering restrictions are on-going year-round. Check the Greater Vernon Services - Water website for more information.

13. Where is the Greater Vernon Recycling and Disposal Facility (landfill) ?
The Greater Vernon Recycling and Disposal Facility is located south of Vernon, west of Hwy. 97 and is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (Closed Sundays, Christmas Day and New Years Day). Click here for location map.

14. Where should questions/comments about Recycling be directed?
Contact Nicole Kohnert, P.Eng., Manager of Solid Waste at RDNO by e-mailing or phoning 250-550-3741, or visit the RDNO website for more information.

15. Can I pay a speeding ticket at City Hall?
Speeding tickets cannot be paid at City Hall.

You may pay your ticket by mail, by sending your cheque or money order (payable to Minister of Finance and Corporate Relations) to Ticket Payment Processing, Bag #3505, Victoria, BC V8W 3N9, or drop by any Driver Services Centre, Motor Licence Office or Government Agent's Office in BC during regular business hours. Dispute notices can be sent via mail to Ticket Dispute Processing, Bag #3510, Victoria, BC V8W 3P7.

16. My street light is burned out, who do I call?
Metal Pole: City Yards 549-6757
Wooden Pole: BC Hydro 1-800-224-9376

Also view City Council FAQ


RDNO Greater Vernon Water Coldstream City of Vernon, BC City of Vernon, BC